Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need Help, Advice & Guidance with this Red 18 (FINISHED)  (Read 12218 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Need Help, Advice & Guidance with this Red 18 (Progress Update)
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 07:09:28 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Yes ... a few hours ... and a few more to go.
I had to rescue this poor girl, as it had been seriously neglected.

The paint is not an exact match .. but, it's pretty close. I recommend it.  :)
I kept a quarter size blemish on the bowl, and the lid has one about the same size.
I want a reminder of how it was treated in a past life.

I think I might cut those longer legs to original size, because I want to use the chrome triangle.
It just needs a good scrub / elbow grease / sandpaper / steel wool to get it looking close to shiny. We'll see.  ??? :D :D

Mac, you only need to cut the third leg to get it level. The no wheel leg will be too long if you use 6" wheels. Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. But with the longer legs, they will be splayed out further, and I will be unable to use the original triangle.
I am not a mathematician or an engineer, but, is this correct? I like the chrome, dude. But if I can't shine it up, then I will consider the raised idea.
I am not a short guy .. about 6'2" with heels on ...  :o ;D ;) ... so the raised idea still seems like a good one, eh??!  :-\ :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:11:14 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »

I kept a quarter size blemish on the bowl, and the lid has one about the same size.

I think I might cut those longer legs to original size, because I want to use the chrome triangle.
It just needs a good scrub / elbow grease / sandpaper / steel wool to get it looking close to shiny. We'll see.  ??? :D :D

Mac, you only need to cut the third leg to get it level. The no wheel leg will be too long if you use 6" wheels. Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. But with the longer legs, they will be splayed out further, and I will be unable to use the original triangle.
I am not a mathematician or an engineer, but, is this correct? I like the chrome, dude. But if I can't shine it up, then I will consider the raised idea.
I am not a short guy .. about 6'2" with heels on ...  :o ;D ;) ... so the raised idea still seems like a good one, eh??!  :-\ :)

That makes sense! I was assuming you wanted to use the 26" triangle with the 26" legs. I'm sure you will figure it out and have it looking spiffy. I have heard that the euro 22's are taller too (maybe a 22" with 26" legs? i dont know) but I don't recall seeing a parts comparison. Duke would prob know best since he went with a conversion on his.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »

That makes sense! I was assuming you wanted to use the 26" triangle with the 26" legs. I'm sure you will figure it out and have it looking spiffy. I have heard that the euro 22's are taller too (maybe a 22" with 26" legs? i dont know) but I don't recall seeing a parts comparison. Duke would prob know best since he went with a conversion on his.

Aaaahhhh .... I like that idea! Use the longer legs to raise one of my 22s.  ??? :D :D
My black 22 OTS is now used strictly for KettlePizza ... The high temps burn off any seasoning ..
A little higher might be a benefit ... but now I have to shine up the beat up legs ... I got time ...
The shipping from ereplace will take awhile, anyway. Thanks again for your valued input!  :D

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »
Thanks so much for everyone's help and input on this RR! It was much appreciated.  :D

Here is the thread that indicates how I fastened the ash ring to the bowl:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/one-touch-vent-size/msg69561/#msg69561

I swapped out the leg cap from my red 22 for the finished pics.
I would like to find some more to finish this off. Not easy ... most stores up here carry furniture type caps. I'll keep looking.  :-\

To recap ... here is what it looked like on September 1st ...

And, now ...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:53:44 AM by MacEggs »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Need Help, Advice & Guidance with this Red 18 (FINISHED)
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
Awesome job MacEggs!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

Goll Dang........I just knew if you got going on this kettle thing, you wouldn't screw around......Good Show .....all the way, my man !!!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
nice save!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
Nice save, it looks great!  I like the Gold conversion, i want to do that on my 18's.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »
It looks new! :D

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need Help, Advice & Guidance with this Red 18
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
Hey Mac, I've had pretty good luck using JB Weld to fill the holes. It will take a few applications most likely to fill it completely. After it cures I used a sanding wheel to smooth it out. The red brake caliper paint from the auto parts store is a decent match.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
That's a good idea.
I see that they have a "high heat" version that will go to 450 degrees.

Is this the product where you knead the putty and then apply with a putty knife (or similar) ?

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »
Yep Dave that's it, have to let it cure. Then you can sand on it to make it flush with the sides if the grill.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

MacEggs

• WKC Performer

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
Man that's like a whole new grill! Outstanding work, Mac!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
You really did a super job on this grill!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
Great job! I'm starting a redhead restoration this thread has been a huge help.   8)