Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: paint  (Read 2689 times)

harlanr3

• Smokey Joe
    • grill sergeants
paint
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
just needing some info on paint for my kettle.so I found a stray kettle pretty nice unit but it has a few chips in it dont really want to repaint the whole thing but would like to do something about these chips any suggestions.

Thanks Russ
weber E 330,1999 blk weber kettle,80's smokey joe
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grill-Sergeants/182784698512882?ref=hl

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: paint
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »
Post some pics and let us see what we're working with Russ. I'm sure some of the guys that have touched up kettles will chime in then.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

harlanr3

• Smokey Joe
    • grill sergeants
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »
here is a pic of the chips I would like to fix

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
Honestly Russ if you're going to cook on it I wouldn't bother painting it. Just get some 0000 steel wool and scrub the crap out of it. It will take the rust right off, but the chips will remain. I have a few like that and think it gives them character!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »

Little, but deep chips like that are a tough call.....
You need to get the rust either off or completely stopped with a rust arresting product or any paint you try to add will fail.....

Folks have put up links & pics of some newer spray products that will do that, I'll see if I can locate those threads....

Then a fine sanding to smooth the general area, perhaps a hi-heat gray primer, then a high heat paint, heat set in between fairly lite coats, then extra lite sanding, then a couple coats of carefully fogged hi-heat clear.....

At least three, maybe four products, a lot of watching paint dry & it still will not really match up to the original baked porcelain enamel.....

Most folks call them 'battle scars' & just go with it...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
Take the time, money, and energy that you would have put in to painting, and cook instead! 

harlanr3

• Smokey Joe
    • grill sergeants
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
man you guys are the best!! the group talked me out of buying a few kettles and now talking me out of work!! I'm going to fit in just fine(if i can stay off craigs list) lol
Thanks guys

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Ospho (phosphoric acid) will kill the rust and turn it black then just rub oil on it or dab on flat black BBQ paint.

At a minimum just spray some Pam or Pam grilling spray on it every other month or so. Works better if it's hot and dry.
#grubdubs

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »
man you guys are the best!! the group talked me out of buying a few kettles and now talking me out of work!! I'm going to fit in just fine(if i can stay off craigs list) lol
Thanks guys

We are not going to talk you out of buying kettles, we are going to talk you in to buying the right ones.  Webers last a life time ... No rush unless you are in some weird kettle buying competition...