Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My 2 day project  (Read 2027 times)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
My 2 day project
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
In the last 5 years I've probably made over 30 UDS selling them for $200+ a pop all by word of mouth.  Some of you may think I'm Satan for what your going to see.  All the kettles I've used have been either free or under $20.00.  For the most part the kettles are all beat up crap but I think of them as donors.  They still live on with a new purpose.  This newborn is going to a good home in Yorba Linda.  BTW,  It wasn't Red to start with.

This is a first for me.  A Smokey Joe Ash Basket.  Last night I did a test run.  It ran at 275 for 6 hours until I shut it down.  The Smokey Joe was a freebie with no lid.

1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: My 2 day project
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
Satan? For spreading the joy of BBQ? Hardly! If I wasn't so happy with my WSM's I'm sure I'd have a UDS. Had I learned about them before I got my WSM I'd probably have one.
kettles, smokers...

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
FedEx...

Don't worry you're not the only one who's made one.  This is my mini-version....    :P

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
Sax, why is your handle so tall?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
Sax, why is your handle so tall?

It's a standard SJ handle.  Must be the angle of the photo..
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »

FedEx That's great !!!!

Some coin for the materials, you get some for your time & effort, the kettles (or parts of) get to live on & folks get into the smoking game for pretty reasonable......good job !!!

My angle is learning folks up on their standard kettle, as best as I know how to pass the info along, same deal, different approach..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:43:04 AM »
In the last 5 years I've probably made over 30 UDS selling them for $200+ a pop all by word of mouth.  Some of you may think I'm Satan for what your going to see.  All the kettles I've used have been either free or under $20.00.  For the most part the kettles are all beat up crap but I think of them as donors.  They still live on with a new purpose.  This newborn is going to a good home in Yorba Linda.  BTW,  It wasn't Red to start with.

This is a first for me.  A Smokey Joe Ash Basket.  Last night I did a test run.  It ran at 275 for 6 hours until I shut it down.  The Smokey Joe was a freebie with no lid.

If you get a chance, can you do a write up of how you made it and the materials involved? I will build one of these eventually.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »
Hey Edhead, Pm Me Your Email.  Got Something For you.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962