Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Heads Up on New Weber Cooking Grate #7435  (Read 6433 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
Heads Up on New Weber Cooking Grate #7435
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »
I stopped at Ace today to get a new 22" cooking grate non-hinged cooking grate. I prefer these versus the hinged grates.  They had several, two with the previous years advertising and several with the new style advertising.  A heads up.....there is a remarkable difference between the two.  The newer style was very thin, easily bendable and felt flimsy while the previous years style seemed sturdy with much noticeably thicker metal.  I picked up the last two older style, shown here:

If you are in the market for a new grate, you may want to check it out and stock up.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Heads Up on New Weber Cooking Grate #7435
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
yeah that one has the squared handles where as the newer ones have the circular ones.  They are cheaper for sure.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
LB, the newer style also had the square handles.  I agree though....these were equally as flimsy as the rounded handle grates.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
Both marked 7435 eh Stu?

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »
Yes.

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
I was in the local Walmart a few weeks ago and they had a 22.5 OTS on display. I was really surprised on how light and flimsy the grate was on it. The hinged grate on my OTG is alot heavier and  stiffer.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
They are like piano strings. They should offer an economy style and a quality. I have a few old styles I keep as backups and they last a long time, but if I didn't have them and needed a new one I would get a new gourmet system grate. They are really thick, but like Stu I don't like the flip grates. I do kind of like the removable middle. I'm just not sure why weber would make the removable middle and the flips on the side. It's definitely over engineered but a good alternative.

fat side down

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:22:13 PM »
I noticed that earlier this year.  Was looking to pick up a couple of grates and when I got to the store saw how thin they were and wondered if they made a generic grate...
I've looked around and have found that only the hinged grates are made of the heavier material....  Very disappointing.  I wasn't aware that they are selling them under the same part number as the older heavier grate...  Double disappointing.  >:(

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:13 AM »
I thought the grate I just got on Amazon was a little different. I guess it is.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »
Someone should give this guy a try. He will make any size you want in SS and will probably be the last grate you ever buy. I think he quoted me $90 for a 26'r grate. Not bad.

Michaelscustomgrillworks.com

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
I'm a fan of the hinged grate, but even if you're not here's a way to save some money.  Target puts all of their grill stuff on clearance every fall.  Around me, that sale happens in September, and stuff is generally marked down to 50%.  Which gets you a hinged grate for about 10 bucks, which makes it a little easier to accept the fact that they are getting thinner and thinner. 

Yes, the grills are on sale then too.  Plus mitts and tongs and other accessories.  And here's a further tip:  clearance stuff is usually stocked at the back corners of the store. 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
From Mike ~~>
"Target puts all of their grill stuff on clearance every fall.  Around me, that sale happens in September, and stuff is generally marked down to 50%."

It has to do with making room for the 'Back to School' stuff which is a huge deal for Target..........
It's already happened at some in my area......
I'd like to think it's 'cause they're onto my cruel game.....I've cleaned up huge several different years at 5 area Targets............. 8)

I would START CHECKING NOW in your area, folks .......  :D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
Yeah, here in MN they clear it out for back to school as well... then keep a small section for the rest of the year (no clearance items after that).

Missed it by [-----] that much.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
If there's more than one Target in your area, check them.....this clearance happens at different rates of speed, depending on demographic of area......
When a store does it, it happens pretty quick, but one across town might not go for three more weeks....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, buckie.  Come to think of it, the stores were pretty picked over last year in September.  Fortunately, the stuff I bought then is still in great shape.  Still, I predict I'll be stopping by a Target at some point tomorrow.
One of the charcoal people.