Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Saw some very old Webers today!  (Read 1902 times)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Saw some very old Webers today!
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »
My kids are at a short summer camp with the youth group from our awesome church. I drove up tonight to cook for everyone on two of my old MBH kettles.

I wasn't there very long before my oldest, Joseph, asks me if I can tell him how old the Weber at the adjacent camper was.

I strolled over to look and I'll be damned if it wasn't a Wood Dale. Then I looked at the legs, but there were no thumbscrews, and it had plastic wheels. Also, the bowl had that ridge that the cooking grate sat on. It was a bastard, and the metal handle on the Wood Dale lid was crushed and unsalvageable.

Then I spied an 18.5" on the other side of where I was cooking. I could not believe what I was seeing.

The wheels were rusty.

So I strolled over there, and sure as shit they were rubber treaded steel wheels (the rubber is seriously weather checked all the way around). As my eyes wandered up her shapely legs, I noticed it had thumbscrews! I look at the lid. Two rivets, with "Patent Pending" stamped in the vent. (Which doesn't make sense, I know.) Otherwise it was in pretty darn good shape.

Anywhoo, my friend who camps there is going to check with the owners of the 18.5" to see if they would consider a replacement or selling it outright.

Frankly, I have no room for it. But I will get it if I can just to save it, and I think a certain area connoisseur of 18.5s might be interested in it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:12:30 PM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Saw some very old Webers today!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »
Pic's?  Hmm, can't imagine who the local consiour is... ;)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
Was the first one an 18.5 also?

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
Was the first one an 18.5 also?
I forgot that tidbit. No, it was a 22.5. I almost cried when I saw how smashed the handle was. My friend said the people who own that camper almost never come.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »
Pic's?  Hmm, can't imagine who the local consiour is... ;)
Nope. I was there to cook, not take pictures.  ;D Never imagined I would see those old classics.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Saw some very old Webers today!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
Nice finds! Would love to see some visuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
Man, its like you were on the Island of Misfit Webers!