Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "Twice-cooked" brisket  (Read 5667 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
"Twice-cooked" brisket
« on: October 01, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »
I've done maybe only 1-2 briskets before, and in recent years I rarely cook outside, and so of course completely forget everything about how to cook a brisket (assuming I ever knew, which is highly doubtful.) This is just the flat, so half of the purchase.

Last night around 9pm I made a ring of coals with 2? (can't remmember) briqs forming a snake. It's not winter, so I didn't load up with fuel, and deciding to run wide open with low fuel. I lit about 5 coals, and 30 mins later added more to the snake when the lid temp couldn't reach 200. I'm aware that might be only 150 at the grate. I figured time was on my side.

Meat on by 10:30pm, fat cap up. I checked the lid temp at 11pm and it was holding steady. I have a remote thermometer but have no idea where it is. I also have a Tip Top Temp still in the box I really should try one day.

At 7am all the coals were spent and the grill cold. I did not rush to salvage the cook, if that were even possible. By 9am I had new coals, this time with about a 4 coal snake, and 8 lit. Figured I'd start busting it with a bit more heat and check the meat temp in about 2 hours. Now up closer to 250 at the lid, so probably 200 at grate. I flipped it, fat cap now down.

Meat is 180-200, feels fairly tender, and although it shrank seems as if it may still have juice. I'll close the top down a little, and let it ride. I have parchment paper I also cannot find, so it's staying naked. Smells great, and producing nice, thin blue smoke. Coals are a combo of Kingsford and something else cheap.

50-50 mix of salt and pepper on thin layer of olive oil. In the picture you're seeing the non fat cap. That crust was formed overnight.

I have to run errands for a few hours. My "goal" now is to pull it around 3-4pm (2-3 hrs from now.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: "Twice-cooked" brisket
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 01:12:53 PM »
Pulled at 4:10 and that juice at the top is gone ... pretty sure I turned it into a black brick. Oh well. It's wrapped and resting, for what it's worth. Grill stayed steady at like 220 at the lid.

Next time I'll just watch the meat temp and act accordingly, instead of just letting it go and go and go. It's not been cut into yet but I probably should have pulled it at 12:30 when I started this thread since it was already pretty high to temp by then.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 01:42:21 PM »
Win some and lose some! Better days ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 02:42:49 PM »
The kid who requested the meat is nevertheless happy with the outcome. That only shows me I need to do it right next time. She decided to shred it. Kids are doing baked potatoes, rice and pinto beans.

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 04:00:29 PM »
Win-win then!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 03:21:24 AM »
been there done that, it appears you recovered pretty decent. Grate to here from you @addicted-to-smoke
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 05:03:36 AM »
If the kid was happy, then it was a successful cook!

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers