Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer Resin table repair/reinforcement  (Read 584 times)

Cellar2ful

Performer Resin table repair/reinforcement
« on: August 18, 2022, 01:28:37 PM »
Prior to the current metal table tops on the Performers, they use to come with a resin table. It is common knowledge that those resin tables are prone to cracking at the screw holes.  I called Weber this week to get a price on the newer, black metal replacement table top for a Performer.  Well, the current cost of $150 has made it unrealistic to replace the table when flipping a Performer. I always thought there should be a way to repair or reinforce these resin tables.  Here's what I came up with.  It's a really easy fix and this method can be used to reinforce a table that has not cracked yet.  I highly recommend that if you own a Performer with a resin table, take the time to add this little reinforcement to your table before it cracks.

Here's what's needed:

- 5" x 7" metal flashing shingle  (.84cents) ( Home Depot link  - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibraltar-Building-Products-5-in-x-7-in-Galvanized-Steel-Flashing-Shingle-S57EA-200/202344707 )

- Gorilla Glue  ($5.97)  (Home Depot link -  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-2-oz-Original-Glue-269/100130236 )

- Metal tin snips

- Several Vise Grips or similar clamping devices

Cut a thin strip of the metal flashing so that it covers the crack.  The metal should extend 1" to 2" on both sides of the crack.  Follow the directions on the Gorilla  glue and clamp the metal strip to the table. I applied the glue to the metal strip and applied water to the inside of the table.   I used several vice grips to clamp the metal to the table.  I also used some heavier gauge metal pieces to cover the metal strip being glued to the table.  Wipe any excess glue that starts to seep out as the glue reacts with the water. It's a lot easier to clean excess glue before it hardens.

****Don't use any metal strip thicker than 0.016 in.  There is minimal clearance between the interior of the table and the leg it bolts to. 

The finished repair. 

In the above photo you can see a raised line that prevented me from making the metal strip any wider.  Next time I have to use this trick I will sand down that raised line so the metal strip can be cut wider.  I may do a write up on the Forum's Main Page so this fix will be easier for all to locate. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:32:34 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer Resin table repair/reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 02:31:32 PM »
Nice work, Jim!  This is what makes the WKC awesome.   Grate knowledge and sharing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »
Well done @Cellar2ful

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 02:50:52 PM »
Very good solution.  I tried a similar method but I used plastic instead of metal which did not work.  I may be selling an OTP soon with a cracked table.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:51:18 PM »
Very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 07:57:09 PM »
Very nice reinforcement job!
I have had success repairing cracked or chipped resin tables with Q-Bond.
https://qbond.com
A bunch of black kettles
-JC