Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Brisket on the Kettle  (Read 518 times)

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
First Brisket on the Kettle
« on: April 26, 2022, 01:32:51 PM »
So I finally came around to doing a brisket on the kettle. I’ve done many briskets in my career as a caterer, but thought I’d try it out on the 22” kettle this time. Here are my results.

4 hours in, and a nice even bark is starting to set. The Slow n Sear provides an efficient 2-zone cooking environment for brisket. I used some firebricks to help manage and distribute the heat more evenly. For fuel I used Kiawe chunks and post oak chips along with the Kingsford Blue.

At 8 hours I wrapped in some butcher paper after a nice bark was set. A little wagyu beef tallow was added to the wrap. Thanks for the tip Mr. Yoder! [emoji6]

After 14 hours (3 am), it was time to rest this badboy. I usually pull at around 190 on my offset, but the probe was still a bit snug so I let it go a bit further.

And here are the results…

After resting in a cooler for 3 hours I unwrapped it and was very impressed with the results. It was moist and tender with a great smoke ring. It was a very good brisket, but not a great one in my opinion in terms of flavor. I did find it a little less intense in smokiness compared to ones I’ve done on my offset smoker. Maybe has something to do with the wood or coals I’m using, or how well seasoned the cooker is. I’m really not too sure.  But I’m thinking to try lump coal next time, and maybe add a little more wood chunks in the mix.

Still, it was a really good brisket that the family absolutely enjoyed. I will definitely be cooking more brisket this way in the future. With some tweaks, I’m sure one can produce results on a kettle that can rival some of the best cookers out there! Not to mention the easy clean up and usually cheaper fuel cost. It’s really a no brainer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
Re: First Brisket on the Kettle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 02:06:49 PM »
That looks delicious. Nice smoke ring!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 04:16:54 PM »
Excellent! That’s a proper looking brisket if I’ve ever seen one. Props for the patience and skill of doing a great looking hunk of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:01 PM »
Brisket looks spot on! Thanks for sharing.

I use fire bricks in my 26” kettle when smoking brisket and ribs.

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 08:54:47 PM »
Brisket looks spot on! Thanks for sharing.

I use fire bricks in my 26” kettle when smoking brisket and ribs.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the bricks come in handy. I’ve often used them in my offset as a heat shield for anything near the fire box. I think your 26” is probably better suited for whole briskets. I actually trimmed off a good amount to make it fit in the 22”.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 02:22:12 AM »
That’s a good looking brisket! Sounds like it would have been perfect to my taste as I prefer a little less smoke.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 03:12:10 AM »
Looks spot on perfect to me !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 03:24:39 AM »
Nice cook and write up.  We like less smoke too, looks awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 11:05:53 PM »
Thanks you guys. I like to document my findings when trying something new on the kettle. Hopefully adds some value here. [emoji4]

As far as it not having enough smoke, I’m all for the perfect amount of smoke. I just noticed it being a little more “roast beefy” than my usual cooks. I usually don’t rest it for 3+ hours too, so flavor may have diluted a a bit due to all that moisture it rested in for that amount of time. Good thing is I can always adjust and try to make it better next time.

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 06:54:29 AM »
Delicious looking brisket!  I’ve done several low and slow cooks, but a brisket is something I still need to give a try.  The cost of the meat and not wanting to screw it up is a hurdle I just need to get over!   Reading this helps, thank you for sharing.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »
Looks awesome!   Don’t be intimidated by brisket.  Just have fun and enjoy the ride.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 04:45:04 AM »
Very nice! Yes, a kettle can produce excellent brisket.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 06:13:57 PM »
That looks fantastic. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

johnlmaddock3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 02:58:12 PM »
Looks amazing.
"Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:30 AM »
Perfection.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.