Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Back Ribs Appetizer  (Read 392 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Beef Back Ribs Appetizer
« on: April 04, 2022, 06:07:31 AM »
We did a quick grocery store stop yesterday and I found a small rack of beef back ribs for $10.  I haven’t seen anything for that price in quite some time so I thought I’d give them a try.  Seasoned with SPG lightly and cooked them indirect on the 26er using the slow n sear and drip n griddle at 275F for two hours, then wrapped with beef broth for another hour.  Had a little Bachan’s on the side for dipping.  These were a great appetizer, enjoyed while cooking the main course, chicken and veggie skewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beef Back Ribs Appetizer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 06:12:54 AM »
Marinated chicken and veggie main course cooked on the Charger Blue OTP with grill grates.  Kept the veggies warm on the 26”.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Beef Back Ribs Appetizer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 06:17:18 AM »
Excellent food! Even excellent pictures. Nothing better than Sunday grilling, except maybe a Sunday nap…

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 06:22:52 AM »
That all looks awesome, it was a beautiful Sunday in ATL as well !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 07:19:00 AM »
Thanks guys…. It was a beautiful weekend.  We were having too much fun to take a nap!

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 11:50:37 AM »
Looks good. I did some ribs yesterday on the KJ Jr., but they burned on the bone side. I couldn’t keep the temp under control. Frozen pizza on the Jumbo, same thing today, a bit burnt. I’m losing my patience.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:52:40 AM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 12:20:39 PM »
Looks good. I did some ribs yesterday on the KJ Jr., but they burned on the bone side. I couldn’t keep the temp under control. Frozen pizza on the Jumbo, same thing today, a bit burnt. I’m losing my patience.
Thanks.  That's the thing with those Kamados - fire is pretty much in the center and not much of a way to do indirect without multiple deflectors.  They sell a "Slow Roller" for the KJ and then they recommend using the ceramic deflectors as well so you don't burn crust or the bottom of anything you're cooking.  My KJ Classic 1 has basically just been sitting since cooking a brisket and a couple roti baskets of wings.  I just can't seem to get excited about using it.  I've found the most versatile cooker in my group to be my 26".  There's really nothing I can't cook on it and it's large enough to do large indirect cooks with ease at any temp I want.  Plus the slow n sear is large enough to sear some big steaks if I want as well as put a large cast iron skillet over it.  Not sure I'll keep the KJ at this point..... may try some ribs with it next as my final test.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 02:15:50 PM »
The kamado Joe Facebook group can be helpful to troubleshoot if they’re not too busy being kamado snobs.  I’m usually not cynical but that’s been my experience.   The tough part with any smaller cooker is usually the amount of lit coal.   It doesn’t take a lot.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veekz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 11:48:33 PM »
Beautiful pics! Food looks damn tasty as well. I need to try the beef ribs next. Never done it in the kettle.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 06:03:21 AM »
The kamado Joe Facebook group can be helpful to troubleshoot if they’re not too busy being kamado snobs.  I’m usually not cynical but that’s been my experience.   The tough part with any smaller cooker is usually the amount of lit coal.   It doesn’t take a lot.   

I figured out the pizza thing and posted about it.
As far as the snobbery, it’s a social media thing, IMO. People have been conditioned that social media like FB is all about the one-liners, one-ups and snarky comebacks. I’ve only recently used FB for marketplace, but I don’t like it much. People on there tend to be passive-aggressive or outright aggressive, the same way they are behind the wheel; acting in ways they would not if it were face to face. Anyways, I’m digressing….
I like the folks on this forum much better.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 06:06:18 AM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »

As far as the snobbery, it’s a social media thing, IMO. People have been conditioned that social media like FB is all about the one-liners, one-ups and snarky comebacks. I’ve only recently used FB for marketplace, but I don’t like it much. People on there tend to be passive-aggressive or outright aggressive, the same way they are behind the wheel; acting in ways they would not if it were face to face. Anyways, I’m digressing….

That’s one of the big things I really like about this group, none of what you describe that’s in FB (or other SM platforms) is here in WKC!  I’m one of the few that has never had FB and never will, and I’m squarely in the age group that is a core FB “customer”.  Just not my interest at all.

Anyway, derailing the thread, my bad!  It’s been a bit since I’ve done beef backs and I definitely overdid them the last time.  Thanks for the cook outline Bama!  I’ll need to give ’em another go.

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 09:38:48 AM »

That’s one of the big things I really like about this group, none of what you describe that’s in FB (or other SM platforms) is here in WKC!  I’m one of the few that has never had FB and never will, and I’m squarely in the age group that is a core FB “customer”.  Just not my interest at all.

Anyway, derailing the thread, my bad!  It’s been a bit since I’ve done beef backs and I definitely overdid them the last time.  Thanks for the cook outline Bama!  I’ll need to give ’em another go.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Beef Back Ribs Appetizer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 10:36:00 AM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:39:20 AM by bamakettles »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 10:36:31 AM »

And your reply reminds me that it’s time to try these again!

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »