Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Perpetual Finds From The Past Thread  (Read 1158 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Perpetual Finds From The Past Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 08:01:36 AM »
FBM find about two years ago.  Lady was using it in her back yard as a planter and garden tool cart.  Definitely Woodard, and I think the bowl is Weber from research I’ve done.  Bowl has one hole in the bottom center and there was no lid.  I had the cart, bowl, rectangular tray and wheels sandblasted and powder coated locally.  Added a cutting board and use it as a drink station.  My Jumbo Joe also fits in it and I’ve used it for a few cooks in this setup.  I got the Jumbo Joe on the same trip over to look at this one for $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 12:13:03 PM »

L code one touch.   This one was a Craigslist find in January 2019 in Cicero, Illinois.   A bit of road trip.  Not an mbh, but a vintage green, which isn’t easy to find.   Took my kids on this kettle trip and visited the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago (our favorite in the city).   Ate Lou Malnatis for dinner, picked up the kettle, and headed home to Indy.  Wonderful day with my kids!   I think of it every time I use it. 

It’s in very good condition.  The handles are not original but period correct originals.  Gave it new wheels to brighten it and new one touch to make it fully functional again. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 06:18:59 AM »
‘69 Pat Pending Statesman and ‘73 Easterner two for one eBay find from Minnesota, just south of the Canadian border.  They cleaned up nicely and I upgraded the cooking and charcoal grates with Killa Grilla SS flip up SNS style.  Repainted the white walls on the 18” and only had to clean the metal wheels on the 22”.  The Statesman is my oldest in my collection.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 11:06:37 AM »
Marketplace find N Code Red Head an hour south of me.  Seller said it belonged to an elderly lady that kept it in her dusty garage and had recently passed.  I guess it was an estate find for the seller.  She was totally interested in cookware, not so much grills.  She said she couldn’t believe how many inquiries she had, but I was luckily first in line.  It was dirty for sure, but maybe some of the dust and dirt protected it over the years.  I gave it a good cleaning and put some fun wheels on it.

BigEasy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 05:31:20 AM »
That is a super nice looking grill.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 09:26:44 AM »

That is a super nice looking grill.
Thank you sir, one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 11:14:20 AM »
So back in 2020, (when my addiction began) I would constantly scan marketplace looking for deals.
The main goal was to find something cool. But I also kept an eye out for deals on easy flips.

I found this DD code OTP for $20. I was the first to message the seller, so she said it was mine.
She said they's leave it front of the garage and I could leave the cash in the mailbox. This was on a Friday, and I said I would come the next day.

Saturday morning she messaged me and asked if forgot to leave the cash. It took a bit of convincing before she finally believed that I did not pick it up!
So she blasts out a post in her neighborhood FB page condemning the thief, saying how she saved this grill for a young Marine.
Where she got this, I have no idea. I'm in my mid-50's and was in the Army.

A couple of hours pass and she calls and excitedly tells me the grill has been returned.
When I picked it up her husband was out working in the garage.
I told him that in case any of the neighbors were watching, tell them the young Marine's father picked it up.

I did clean it up really well, but can't sell it with a story like that.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 08:01:26 AM »
'84 Brownie Ebay find from California in 2020.  Cleaned up nicely, replaced the triangle, sweeps, ash pan and customized the wheels.  I've since replaced the handles since I was pretty new to this then and stained the originals too dark.  They're now on a CGA that looks pretty good with them.  Hope these pics don't go sideways, this was before I learned to orient my phone properly for pictures.  Last pic includes my '78 which was also an Ebay find from Arizona in the same timeframe.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2022, 12:24:18 PM »
One of my best "In the Wild" CL finds (2018).

62 Ambassador

Link to the thread how I found and restored it:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=35113.0

Photo from the CL add:

After restoration photo:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 12:25:55 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2022, 12:56:54 PM »

62 Ambassador

Link to the thread how I found and restored it:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=35113.0

Photo from the CL add:

After restoration photo:

Wow. Just beautiful

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 12:58:16 PM »

62 Ambassador

Photo from the CL add:

After restoration photo:

Exactly the type of stories I was hoping to find.  Inspirational!

Gorgeous kettle.....

glend123

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2022, 06:19:25 AM »
Here is one that I found in 2012 or so at a garage sale.  I have not seen one like it before, except for the legs which are obviously DIY.

22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2022, 06:22:17 AM »
Here is one that I found in 2012 or so at a garage sale.  I have not seen one like it before, except for the legs which are obviously DIY.
That's pretty interesting
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Nitro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 09:04:37 AM »
Not vintage but still a pretty good weekend haul. 

Cellar2ful

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 06:30:44 AM »
The story of Diablo,  26" Flattop saved from the scrap yard.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=34980.0

"Chasing Classic Kettles"