Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Killa-Grilla Grate  (Read 895 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Killa-Grilla Grate
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 06:34:26 AM »
Nice purchase! I was thinking of getting cast iron grates next but I like the easier clean and maintenance on these. Does the flip up version stop at the foots where the grate sits on? I’d like to be able to spin the grate without it hanging up and having to lift it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're a grate spinner, these may not be for you.  On my 26" the grate will only go in one way and when it's locked in it doesn't move due to the bail nuts hanging on the grate.  With a vintage kettle, it may not be a problem, but these are still really heavy for spinning.  I don't spin mine when cooking, just move the meat.  If spinning is important to you, the SNS grates might be a better option.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 06:52:16 AM »
I have a flip up killa grill on my 22" master touch, it does *spin*, but is super heavy and twists the entire kettle. The rods that make up the handles do extend slightly below the outer ring of the grate and those can get caught on the grate "feet". I have plans to pull the grate off and grind down the handle rods so they do not extend past the bottom of the grate to help, but I have yet to do so!

controlledburn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 08:03:58 AM »
I have these grates on a performer deluxe and ground down the handle protruding the bottom of the grate until it spins. These are the best grates. I didn’t care for the GBS grates.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 11:04:55 AM »

@TXFlyGuy

Here's what my Killa Grilla grates currently look like after 4 years of heavy use (purchased in 2017).  I have several Killa Grilla grates in 18",22" and 26" sizes.  I have one Adrenaline BBQ Easy Spin 22" grate I use in conjunction with my SlowNSear.  The Adrenaline BBQ is much lighter and easier to spin when reverse searing.

Here is a review I wrote back in 2017 comparing Killa Grilla, Weber's SS grate and the GBS Weber grate (non SS).

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27590.0
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 12:13:17 PM »
We don’t spin. We use the Weber super-sized spatula, and easily move the steak (or whatever) to the cool side.
Tried spinning, but I get dizzy…

Seriously, thinking about getting one for the little fella, the Jumbo Joe. Tried to get a Craycourt cast iron grill, but they have been out of stock for about 6 or more months.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 03:22:59 PM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest