Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seasoning a new Hunsaker griddle (plancha)  (Read 342 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Seasoning a new Hunsaker griddle (plancha)
« on: August 17, 2021, 04:25:24 AM »
I've got a Hunsaker on order. I'm thinking to season it by first washing the crap out of it with Dawn and water (as recommended by someone here). Then I bought a big ol 48oz bag of cheap ends and pieces of bacon at the store (mostly fat). I was gonna divvy it up into 12oz piles. Then cook 12on on each side. Scrape it clean, canola oil it, than do it again.  Should that take care of it?   I sure wish I had a round airtight container to store it in as a rust preventative.  Someone oughta make one of those, or big round ziploc bags, lol!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Seasoning a new Hunsaker griddle (plancha)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 05:24:44 AM »
I have the SNS version and have battled rust during the first year.  No matter how much I oiled it rust would always form at the surface and bubble through the seasoned layer.  I finally solved the problem by taking care of the cause.  For me it was the salt in the food that I was cooking embedded itself in the seasoning and I rarely cleaned it off, just oiled after a cook.  I used a wire wheel and drill to take it back to bare metal and re-seasoned.  Now I clean it thoroughly with dawn - just like a cast iron skillet, re-oil with olive oil and store in a dry place.  Hope that helps.  These are really fun to cook on, enjoy!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 05:29:05 AM »
The bacon is fine to season it.   Lard can get rancid, though, if you use it infrequently Store it indoors in a dry place.   Make sure it has a light film of oil on it.   I’d suggest crisco. 

Basically treat it like a cast iron pan. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 06:13:05 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Quick follow up question to your advice:  Doesn't washing it with Dawn between uses strip the seasoning off of it?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 06:15:46 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Quick follow up question to your advice:  Doesn't washing it with Dawn between uses strip the seasoning off of it?
Not for me so far and we've always done this with our cast iron.  Wish I'd done it from the start with my plancha.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 09:09:29 AM »
If it's seasoned properly Dawn won't penetrate the seasoning. Soaking it or scrubbing it with a steel scrubby can mess up the seasoning for sure. I use Dawn on my cast iron that is seasoned well but I just do it quickly with a soft rag, then rinse, re-oil, etc.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 04:55:52 AM »
Thanks y'all!  My plancha arrived yesterday. I washed it a few times with Dawn to get the manufacturing oils and residue off of it. It is sitting in the kitchen with a thin coat (paper towel applied) of Crisco on both sides. Later today I will fire up the redhead and cook up 12oz of bacon on each side. Then scrape it clean, re-apply Crisco, then cook 12 more oz per side (48 total). The bacon is a big bag of $5 ends/pieces from the local grocery store. It's mostly fat.  Then I'll scrape, wash it like Mark Schnell does above, and then store indoors (Basement storage area - stays below 60% humidity - in original box.  Can't wait to make eggs, smash burger, fritas, bell peppers/onions, and more on it!

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
First layer going down.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »
Wow, looking good!  Love your back yard and boat house....

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »
nice view !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »
Thanks, this is where we ended up when we fled Kalifornia.