Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: X Home 8835 Cast Iron  (Read 637 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Re: X Home 8835 Cast Iron
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 06:19:51 PM »
In a side-by-side grill off, the Killa-Grilla against cast iron...the cast iron won hands down. Saw this on YouTube.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 06:26:56 PM »
Ok....well if its on youtube it must be gospel.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 02:30:53 AM »
In a side-by-side grill off, the Killa-Grilla against cast iron...the cast iron won hands down. Saw this on YouTube.
Curious as how the cast iron won hands down ? I gotta find that video
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 02:32:09 AM »
Ok....well if its on youtube it must be gospel.

maybe work the debate into Sundays Homily LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 03:42:00 AM »
The video was posted by a forum member. It was not a taste test comparison, it was simply a grill mark test. The KG performed so poorly, that the steak was pulled off the stainless grate and finished up grilling on the cast iron.

You have probably seen this video. Yes, it's gospel!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 03:55:24 AM »
The video was posted by a forum member. It was not a taste test comparison, it was simply a grill mark test. The KG performed so poorly, that the steak was pulled off the stainless grate and finished up grilling on the cast iron.

Got it, grill marks are overrated IMHO

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 04:30:35 AM »
Yes, simple grill marks are meaningless...but for some reason that is what many folks want. The pro chefs often do a full sear on a steak, using a pan-sear method.

In a double blind taste test, it would be interesting to see how many could accurately identify a sear mark steak from a non sear mark steak. Both cooked the same. And a steak with a full sear.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 04:45:54 AM »

I've seen the video.  I don't cook steaks  like that, so it means little to me in terms of any kind of side by side comparison. It is not hard to get sear marks on good stainless if you want em. 

Everyone knows cast iron retains heat better and can make great sear marks.  But anyone who has cast iron grates will tell you what he also says in the video, that they are heavy, and maintaining cast iron grates takes discipline. I'll take it a step further.  They will rust on you at some point and they are a pain in the butt to maintain. 

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 05:13:44 AM »

I've seen the video.  I don't cook steaks  like that, so it means little to me in terms of any kind of side by side comparison. It is not hard to get sear marks on good stainless if you want em. 

Everyone knows cast iron retains heat better and can make great sear marks.  But anyone who has cast iron grates will tell you what he also says in the video, that they are heavy, and maintaining cast iron grates takes discipline. I'll take it a step further.  They will rust on you at some point and they are a pain in the butt to maintain. 

I can get very nice sear marks with my Weber GBS plated grates.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2021, 05:41:14 AM »
If you want steakhouse grill marks you might consider GrillGrates brand overlays.  They’re aluminum, lightweight and make a very presentable steak, burger or chicken breast.  I have them for a kettle and gasser, but rarely use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2021, 05:53:34 AM »
Those are awesome photos. Grill marks are fine, but the ultimate goal is to have that 5 Star Steakhouse flavor!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 06:22:57 AM »
Those are awesome photos. Grill marks are fine, but the ultimate goal is to have that 5 Star Steakhouse flavor!
These filets were marinated in Dale's sauce for about 20 minutes before going on and they were amazing.  If you leave them in too long you'll have way too much salt.  This stuff produces some really nice caramelization when used with GrillGrates and are perfect for lean cuts like filet mignon.  I don't like it so much on a ribeye - seems to soak into the fat and overpower the natural beef flavors.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 07:11:32 AM »
@bamakettles ,  Moores or Dales?  Which do you prefer?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 07:21:50 AM »
@bamakettles ,  Moores or Dales?  Which do you prefer?
Always been a Dale's guy, but I have to limit marinade times with it or dilute with water.  I've tried Moore's a time or two and it's good too, just a slight flavor profile difference.  I also like to drizzle a little Dale's on burgers sometimes just before pulling them off - especially when using a gasser. 

We have a local delivery place that I believe is only in North Alabama called Steak Out.  They use something that resembles Dale's on their steaks, burgers and chicken.  There are around 6 locations around town and that business is a gold mine.  I believe their success is the flavor and freshness of the food and the Dale's flavor is a part of that.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »
For Dale's fans, here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS -

cups soy sauce (kikkoman)

1⁄3
    cup Worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)

tablespoons sugar

teaspoon salt

teaspoon liquid smoke

teaspoon granulated garlic

1⁄2
    teaspoon ground ginger

dash paprika

dash ground pepper

DIRECTIONS

Using a 1 quart container Whisk all ingredients together until well blended. Seal well and all should last refrigerated 1-2 months.
    Refrigerate.