Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow N Sear vs. Charcoal Baskets vs. Snake  (Read 1318 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Slow N Sear vs. Charcoal Baskets vs. Snake
« on: May 17, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »
So what works best? Is the Slow N Sear hands down the winner? For low & slow smoking, is it better?
How about the standard charcoal baskets? I use them all the time. And is the snake method better for long cook times, say 10 hours or longer?

Edit: Finished reading the review posted here. But what is the experience of the rest of the forum members? Is this that much better than my dual charcoal baskets?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:59:58 PM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Slow N Sear vs. Charcoal Baskets vs. Snake
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 08:01:32 PM »
Snake is probably the only option for 10+ hours.
Slow and sear probably 6-8 hours on Weber coals.
Baskets.... no Idea how long they will run for but I do use them for some cooks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:39:59 AM »
10 plus is always a snake for me, I love my SNS but not for long slow cooks, I am picky about building my snake so it allows a nice cocktail and an occasional cigar while building the snake, bonding time with the grill !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 04:36:25 AM »
That's what I figured. America's Test Kitchen has a very good "How To" video on smoking a Brisket Texas Style, on a Weber using the snake method. It turned out very nice. And that is an upcoming cook for me.

So this begs the question...how many briquets will the SNS hold? And how many will two Weber charcoal baskets hold (I have never counted)?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:38:45 AM by TXFlyGuy »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 03:52:47 AM »
That's what I figured. America's Test Kitchen has a very good "How To" video on smoking a Brisket Texas Style, on a Weber using the snake method. It turned out very nice. And that is an upcoming cook for me.

So this begs the question...how many briquets will the SNS hold? And how many will two Weber charcoal baskets hold (I have never counted)?
The 22 sns will hold about a full size Weber chimney of coals.  I think each basket will hold about 25-30 briquettes.  This guy has a few videos comparing methods (he does videos for sns grills, though, caveat emptor!).

https://youtu.be/6Shkq7P5z4A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foles75

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 03:26:56 AM »
I made my own slow and sear by altering the two char baskets.. its worked out great for doing reverse sears and indirect cooks.. its also made my briquettes last WAY longer.
But for longer cooks, the snake method has never let me down with a aluminum drip/water pan.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 05:04:17 AM »

The 22 sns will hold about a full size Weber chimney of coals.  I think each basket will hold about 25-30 briquettes.  This guy has a few videos comparing methods (he does videos for sns grills, though, caveat emptor!).

I watched this video, and another one of his. The results of the pulled pork were identical for both the Weber Baskets and the SNS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRIIqI9wtak

For a slow smoke lasting 4 to 6 hours, I think the baskets would be fine. I'm planning to do a Prime Rib Roast (USDA Prime!) on the rotisserie very soon, and want the temp between 225 and 250.

Using the baskets, what would you recommend as far as technique?

Are you 8th Air Force? Or perhaps a family member was?

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 05:21:22 AM »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 09:55:12 AM »

I watched this video, and another one of his. The results of the pulled pork were identical for both the Weber Baskets and the SNS.

For a slow smoke lasting 4 to 6 hours, I think the baskets would be fine. I'm planning to do a Prime Rib Roast (USDA Prime!) on the rotisserie very soon, and want the temp between 225 and 250.

My grandfather was a ball turret gunner in a b17 in WW2 and in the 8th AF. 

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 12:47:14 PM »

My grandfather was a ball turret gunner in a b17 in WW2 and in the 8th AF. 

How cool! You must be proud of him! That is the most dangerous position in the entire aircraft.
My late Father, Tech. Cpl. D.B. Oleson, was in the 24th Infantry, 1944-46. Leyte, Mindoro, and Mindanao, P.I.

My Mustang is done up in the colors of the 5th Air Force, 3rd Fighter Group, 3rd Fighter Squadron. They were there with my dad. Purple Heart, Bronze Star were both awarded to him.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
Well...7 hours and 15 minutes later, and my two Weber baskets are still chugging along at 251 degrees. I am shocked!
Must be the B&B briquettes.

This was set up with the rotisserie, as an experiment in cooking temps and time. No coals have been added. Just level full baskets to begin with.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:44:55 PM by TXFlyGuy »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 05:19:03 PM »
Final update...

At 9 hours 15 minutes, my Thermoworks Alarm went off saying the temp had dropped to 200 degrees. The temp was as high as 400 at one point. It steadied around 320 for a long time, after I shut down the vents.

Had I managed the air flow properly, 10+ hours of 250 degree smoking could have been achieved. Now I know what to do, and will hit my targets much closer next time.

Keep in mind fuel was never added to the fire after we got it going.

And this was all with the Weber Charcoal Baskets. So it seems you do not have to spend $$$ on gadgets to do a low and slow cook.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »
Nice work!   Nope, no fancy gadgets needed.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
I think money would be better spent on something like the Cajun Bandit conversion smoke stacker

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 04:11:09 PM »
Ha! My money is spent on the Weber Baskets. However, a new stainless set has arrived.