Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I’m looking to get a SSP, how much is too much?  (Read 374 times)

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
I’m looking to get a SSP, how much is too much?
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:30:43 PM »
Hello everyone I’m looking to get another kettle, I’ve never owned one with a table and figured I would just go for the performer. There’s just something about the first generation stainless steel table that is so appealing to me, there are also some gen 3, gen 4 for sale around my way, but I don’t seem to like their style compared to the older ones.

I have always known that it’s worth what people are willing to pay for it, but in general the price seems to be $200-250 Canadian, I may be able to haggle $25-50 off to make it $150 or $175. What do you think? Would you go for the gen 4 that costs the same, but you like it less or the older one that you like more?

It seems that the SSP is a bit rare....? I’m in Canada and don’t see them all that often.

Would love to hear everyone’s .02

Thank you

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:32:42 PM by MapleLeaf.kettle »

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Re: I’m looking to get a SSP, how much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 06:18:42 AM »
I'd get what you like.  Keep in mind that the ssp is not as tall as the gen4.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »
The SSP is still a good bit taller than a standard Kettle, though. It’s not quite as tall as my 26”, but it’s within a couple of centimeters.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »
I think it’s fine to pay $250+ for a good condition SSP you’re in love with. It will last a long time so the extra couple of bucks spent will be immaterial over time. Do note that the newer performers have better utility. Lifting the SSP table up during use and dealing with the antiquated SSP propane bits is a pain. What part of Canada? Maybe you can import one from across the border under normal non Covid circumstances.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
Get whatever you'll be happy with.  Remember, you can always flip it and buy a different one if you decide the one you like best is not optimal.   
regards,
Hal

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:02:50 PM »
I love my SSP.  It’s my daily driver November to March.  If I could only keep one kettle, it would the SSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 04:57:01 PM »
I'd get what you like.  Keep in mind that the ssp is not as tall as the gen4.

Great to know, I currently use a master touch and it’s taller than my original kettle. I’m average height maybe 5’10” I’ll definitely go see it in person before I commit. Thank you for your reply.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 04:59:52 PM »
The SSP is still a good bit taller than a standard Kettle, though. It’s not quite as tall as my 26”, but it’s within a couple of centimeters.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Sounds about the master touch height? That would be right up my alley.
Thank you for letting me know.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 05:05:29 PM »
I think it’s fine to pay $250+ for a good condition SSP you’re in love with. It will last a long time so the extra couple of bucks spent will be immaterial over time. Do note that the newer performers have better utility. Lifting the SSP table up during use and dealing with the antiquated SSP propane bits is a pain. What part of Canada? Maybe you can import one from across the border under normal non Covid circumstances.
Would it be possible if you were to elaborate on the problems that you were mentioning on the SSP? I’m from Niagara Falls, Michigan is about 4 hours away, Buffalo is right across the border. Are they cheaper in the US?

Thank you, maybe I didn’t do enough research, but I have never heard of those problems before it’s something I’ll need to consider.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 05:08:09 PM »
Get whatever you'll be happy with.  Remember, you can always flip it and buy a different one if you decide the one you like best is not optimal.

Sounds good, thank you for the advice.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 05:11:37 PM »
I love my SSP.  It’s my daily driver November to March.  If I could only keep one kettle, it would the SSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I believe would happen to me, I’d change from my Master touch to the SSP, great to know I’m not the only one. Thank you for your reply.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »
Would it be possible if you were to elaborate on the problems that you were mentioning on the SSP? I’m from Niagara Falls, Michigan is about 4 hours away, Buffalo is right across the border. Are they cheaper in the US?

Thank you, maybe I didn’t do enough research, but I have never heard of those problems before it’s something I’ll need to consider.

I would guess that he is referring to the inconvenience of lifting the table to access the charcoal and to a lesser extent, the gas/igniter when  something is sitting on the table.

The original tanks, depending on age, do not have US legal OPD valves and the disconnect system that has been discontinued for a long time.  In addition to most tanks being out of certification (US), most filling stations don't have the adapters to fill them.  You can buy the adapters and take them to the filling stations.  You can also buy replacement tanks, I think about $50 USD last I checked in the US, and swap out the quick release on the regulator assembly and use the modern style connectors.  This is not difficult, but does cost money.  I've done this on all of my SSPs, which are hands down my favorite Webers.  I don't know how Canadian gas rules and parts compare to those in the US.

Here's a post I did showing the newer tank and either the whole new regulator from Weber or just the ACME nut to use with the existing regulator.  I've done both, ACME nut on restomods and the new assembly on my brand new SSP.

Note that other new tanks I've used, I have not had to cut, only this one for some reason.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=30139.msg299072#msg299072
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:33:04 PM by ClubChapin »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »
My red mist SSP is the one I use all the time.  My tank was out of date & did not have the more modern triangular shaped knob that indicates it has the modern safety feature that prevents overfilling.  However, it did have a sticker on it indicating that it had such safety feature.  if you take it to places that employ low wage employees to refill tanks, they won't refill a tank that is expired, they usually have nobody that can recertify them, and they won't fill one without the somewhat triangular shaped knob.  However, at many of the smaller mom & pop places, the owner (or someone) can recertify them.  A local place near me will recertify a tank free if you fill it up there, so it cost me about $5 and change to get it filled AND recertified.  Additionally, he was accepted the sticker and even pointed out that I might want to bring it back to him because a lot of other places will just refuse to refill it because it doesn't have the triangular knob, since that is what they are told is needed.

Frankly, I never have even tried the gas assist.  I just use my chimney anyway.  With respect to the comments about the table, as noted the SSP has a table with a lid that has to be opened to get to the the gas assist, whereas the other models have things you operate on the side.  On the plus side, they are more protected being under the table top (you can probably figure out why I know that). 

Another negative some mention is the handle that is on the top so you can lift the table (lid) and you have to pay attention to where you set down a platter (or whatever) on the table so that the handle doesn't cause your platter to tilt.  I don't find that a huge problem, just set things down to one side of it.  On the plus side, the stainless steel tops don't crack or get badly discolored like the fiberglass ones tend to.  Even the newer metal ones that are painted black can have problems.  Seen a pic or two noting issues on ones that were not very old & I saw one for sale locally that had gotten rather bad looking (like really bad) for not being very old.

Basically, there are pluses & minuses to each type.  Based on comments from others in Canada, I'd keep an eye out for ones across the border, that are within striking distance.

You might want to look at whether there are any weird customs duties for used equipment.  In many countries, the dollar value of something has to be higher than a set level before duties are imposed, so you might look at that too.  I have some relatives in Europe that I'm guessing would just strap it to the roof of their car & then say "This old thing? I brought it me when I left the country to go..." on a picnic, camping, or whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:26:34 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 08:31:08 PM »

I would guess that he is referring to the inconvenience of lifting the table to access the charcoal and to a lesser extent, the gas/igniter when  something is sitting on the table.

The original tanks, depending on age, do not have US legal OPD valves and the disconnect system that has been discontinued for a long time.  In addition to most tanks being out of certification (US), most filling stations don't have the adapters to fill them.  You can buy the adapters and take them to the filling stations.  You can also buy replacement tanks, I think about $50 USD last I checked in the US, and swap out the quick release on the regulator assembly and use the modern style connectors.  This is not difficult, but does cost money.  I've done this on all of my SSPs, which are hands down my favorite Webers.  I don't know how Canadian gas rules and parts compare to those in the US.

Here's a post I did showing the newer tank and either the whole new regulator from Weber or just the ACME nut to use with the existing regulator.  I've done both, ACME nut on restomods and the new assembly on my brand new SSP.

Note that other new tanks I've used, I have not had to cut, only this one for some reason.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=30139.msg299072#msg299072

Wow I wouldn’t have ever known, thank you for your reply and your link, it seems like you know your stuff seeing as you’ve done so many. I’ll take the time now to read over what you’ve responded and read your other thread to see if it’s going to cause issues for me in the future.

MapleLeaf.kettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 08:38:47 PM »
My red mist SSP is the one I use all the time.  My tank was out of date & did not have the more modern triangular shaped knob that indicates it has the modern safety feature that prevents overfilling.  However, it did have a sticker on it indicating that it had such safety feature.  if you take it to places that employ low wage employees to refill tanks, they won't refill a tank that is expired, they usually have nobody that can recertify them, and they won't fill one without the somewhat triangular shaped knob.  However, at many of the smaller mom & pop places, the owner (or someone) can recertify them.  A local place near me will recertify a tank free if you fill it up there, so it cost me about $5 and change to get it filled AND recertified.  Additionally, he was accepted the sticker and even pointed out that I might want to bring it back to him because a lot of other places will just refuse to refill it because it doesn't have the triangular knob, since that is what they are told is needed.

Frankly, I never have even tried the gas assist.  I just use my chimney anyway.  With respect to the comments about the table, as noted the SSP has a table with a lid that has to be opened to get to the the gas assist, whereas the other models have things you operate on the side.  On the plus side, they are more protected being under the table top (you can probably figure out why I know that). 

Another negative some mention is the handle that is on the top so you can lift the table (lid) and you have to pay attention to where you set down a platter (or whatever) on the table so that the handle doesn't cause your platter to tilt.  I don't find that a huge problem, just set things down to one side of it.  On the plus side, the stainless steel tops don't crack or get badly discolored like the fiberglass ones tend to.  Even the newer metal ones that are painted black can have problems.  Seen a pic or two noting issues on ones that were not very old & I saw one for sale locally that had gotten rather bad looking (like really bad) for not being very old.

Basically, there are pluses & minuses to each type.  Based on comments from others in Canada, I'd keep an eye out for ones across the border, that are within striking distance.

You might want to look at whether there are any weird customs duties for used equipment.  In many countries, the dollar value of something has to be higher than a set level before duties are imposed, so you might look at that too.  I have some relatives in Europe that I'm guessing would just strap it to the roof of their car & then say "This old thing? I brought it me when I left the country to go..." on a picnic, camping, or whatnot.

I actually saw a red one for sale ironically enough, I contacted him on a buy/sell site, he never responded. I’ve heard from you and another member on the propane filling issue, this is something I can totally agree on, especially here in Canada, they look at the cylinder before they fill it and oftentimes they deny some of my tanks. I’ve seen the little propane tanks, but figured they were all the same from the first performer until now, but I guess I was mistaken.

Thank you for your reply and sharing knowledge of the SSP. I really want a red one, but since it’s rare here, I may look across the border depending on when they will open the border for non essential travel. I’ve only been seeing the anniversary edition red kettles, but everyone wants at least $250 used and $300 new with no box and I don’t think I’m looking to spend that much on another kettle that doesn’t have more features than my MT.