Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What do you think about it ? (2001 Kettle)  (Read 520 times)

damienroux

• Smokey Joe
What do you think about it ? (2001 Kettle)
« on: January 30, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
Hi friends, what do you think of this webber kettle bbq from 2001? is it restorable?

Thank you very much

Damien (from France [emoji632])

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SixZeroFour

Re: What do you think about it ? (2001 Kettle)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
Hello and welcome!

The kettle looks to be in pretty good shape overall and should clean up nice with a little TLC. Use some #0000 (ultra fine) steel wool and some cleaner/degreaser and you'll be surprised how nice it will polish up. If you are looking to purchase the grill from someone just make sure the leg socket connections/welds are solid and that there are no holes burnt through the bowl at all.

Also here is a link with some more cleanup ideas:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Take care
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

damienroux

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
Merci,

It is not too rusty ?

Let me explain. This barbecue is for sale and I would like to buy it. I don't know if it's a good idea to start a collection or if I should wait to find better (less rusty)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:45:51 PM by damienroux »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:57:54 AM »
I’d say it’s a great candidate to start a collection.
Like sixzerofour said, as long as the leg sockets are solid, everything else can be replaced (grates and ash sweep)
I’d say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 04:32:28 AM »
Merci,

It is not too rusty ?

Let me explain. This barbecue is for sale and I would like to buy it. I don't know if it's a good idea to start a collection or if I should wait to find better (less rusty)

If it is cheap and/or you like the color most things can be cleaned up and usable as long as you don't let the porcelain chips and etc. bother you.  It just depends if it is worth the effort for you.  There are ways to fix about anything if you want to put the time and money into it.  We have seen members with kettles that have baseball size holes in the bowl, but it was a rare enough kettle that it was worth fixing and making it usable. 

Almost every used kettle you will buy will need to have the crud scrapped out and cleaned.  If they have sweeps there is a pretty good chance they will at least need to be disassembled, and cleaned, but perhaps will need replaced.  The grates are really up to you and how you might abuse the kettle.  The bottom grates tend to get warped from the heat.  If it is a workhorse alot of people will just step on the bottom grate or hammer them flat and put them back in the kettle.  If you want something clean you can buy factory replacements or aftermarket stainless steel bottom grates.  The top grate just depends on what you want to do.  I will keep some non stainless steel grates around in case I need to throw them in a kettle, but most of the time I look to use some aftermarket stainless steel grates as there isn't a worry for rust.  A lot of the top grates I find on a used kettle just isn't worth my time to clean up as they are heavily rusted/cruddy, but for some they will go ahead and do so with a wire brush and evaporust or other cleaning methods.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.