Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked Up an L Code Today  (Read 433 times)

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
Picked Up an L Code Today
« on: May 12, 2020, 05:15:12 AM »
I believe a 1989, $40 CL. This baby has like a hyper color effect. The lid is grey, but when hot or wet turns jet black. The bottom looks more black, but a similar effect as well. Anyone seen this? I'm going to keep it simple, sand, and finish the handles - then fire it up. Any other refinishing tips would be appreciated. Are there any hot tips for ash management on these original, non-one touch kettles? Never had one before.
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Picked Up an L Code Today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:25:57 AM »
Looks great!  I picked up a 1972 in similar shape and love the color.  Standard clean up recommendation is use a flat razor scraper for the inside, followed up with a scrubbing of Weber grill cleaner and 0000 steel wool.  Legs, ashpan and triangle can be cleaned up too - check the home page here for more tips.  Have fun!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked Up an L Code Today
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:26:46 AM »
Keep a lookout for a cheap Happy Cooker in your area (often advertised as a Weber).  If it has a decent internal ash pan still, buy it for the ash pan.

Back in the day, I used to just pull the leftover large coals from on the grate & then lifter her up and dump the ashes into a METAL garbage can (just in case there was any embers).  Sometimes, just dumped it upside down on the ground in a less conspicuous place in the back yard.

I've read some say they use their hand or a little broom thing to sweep it through the daisy wheel holes (presumably so that the wind takes a decent portion away before they have to get rid of what falls on the ash pan).

Are there any hot tips for ash management on these original, non-one touch kettles?
regards,
Hal