Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rescued a P code SSP!!  (Read 1211 times)

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Rescued a P code SSP!!
« on: August 16, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
Picked up an SSP this morning off CL. It was listed for $50 but I got it for $30. Had to drive 6 hour round trip to get it but that’s what you gotta do sometimes.

I want to give thanks to @Walchit for fielding all my newbie questions.

The bowl is in kinda rough shape. The rest is not bad. No ash catcher or one touch but doubt I could make it work with the rust.

Would like suggestions on what to do about the bowl....leave it and start cooking. Get cheap donor bowl in black and drill holes to mount everything?

Need to fix the side bars. Seller gave some 1” square tubing to replace the rusted originals.

I gave it a quick washing and cleaning and it looks pretty nice!

The CL listing

Loaded up

Before pics

Think I may just cook some burgers on it as is tonight just to see how it cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rescued a P code SSP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »
You nailed the rescue and respect you have some work on the restore, check with the club over on member sales and trades and see if you can get some parts you may need
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
You nailed the rescue and respect you have some work on the restore, check with the club over on member sales and trades and see if you can get some parts you may need
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words and sage advice.

Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »
Ive been sitting here worried the lid blew out! Glad you got it home. Its about as rough as I expected, but that lid looks great. It will cook as-is, but you won't get the full experience of the weber without being able to control your air flow.

I used star nuts from the bicycle shop, I had to use 1 and 1/8 inch ones, and used a grinder to make them somewhat square. Then screwed the bolt in a little and tapped it in slowly and tried to keep it straight. You can just tap the side of the bolt to straighten it out if it starts getting out of control. Went pretty easy for me but I may have gotten lucky.

I know @red5wrangler used stainless all thread through the pipe, with washers that are the size of the inside diameter of the tubing to keep it lined up. I probably would have done that, but I already sourced the star nuts and it worked well, but I haven't found stainless bolts in the metric thread that are long enough.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:02:12 PM by Walchit »

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »
Ive been sitting here worried the lid blew out! Glad you got it home. Its about as rough as I expected, but that lid looks great. It will cook as-is, but you won't get the full experience of the weber without being able to control your air flow.

I used star nuts from the bicycle shop, I had to use 1 and 1/8 inch ones, and used a grinder to make them somewhat square. Then screwed the bolt in a little and tapped it in slowly and tried to keep it straight. You can just tap the side of the bolt to straighten it out if it starts getting out of control. Went pretty easy for me but I may have gotten lucky.

I know @red5wrangler used stainless all thread through the pipe, with washers that are the size of the inside diameter of the tubing to keep it lined up. I probably would have done that, but I already sourced the star nuts and it worked well, but I haven't found stainless bolts in the metric thread that are long enough.

I had it tied down before I left [emoji3]

What do you think about these brackets I salvaged off an old fence? I already painted the tubing.

I know it’s not factory correct but it would work and be very easy to install with self tapping screws.

Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:19:22 PM »
I would probably try one of the other ways, are they the right length?

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »
The tubing he gave me needs to be cut to the right size.

Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
Do the brackets slide in the end of the pipe? They would work for sure, but you would be putting some extra holes in it. I guess I would let the budget decide. Idk how much the all tread costs, but the star nuts were about 4 bucks a piece.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
Yes the brackets slide into the tubing. I could get the all thread but wondering how to keep the tubing in place and not spin once in place

Looking for MBH 26

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Giving the new grill a test run

Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:35 PM »
I think if you get it pretty tight with the all thread, then line the bar up how you want it you should be able to tighten it and that would hold it. Might need a buddy to hold the other side

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
I wish you luck man.  I can't believe that bowl is rusted out so badly for no older than it is.  I brought home a second Gen that they used as a garbage burner and it looks pretty super compared to that.  If you have any friends who weld or have metal working tools now is the time to call in those favors if parts can't be sourced.  I am sure you will manage either way!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 04:17:26 AM »
I have a green one touch platinum just as bad as that one, still cooks tho so good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »
Worked on the lower frame support.
Had to cut the tubes to length

Added caps that I drilled holes thru the center

Used some 36” long, 1/4 all thread that was the perfect length

Used SS acorn nuts on both ends with washers

Cart is nice and sturdy now

Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »
Those end caps were a good idea! Looks just like new! Now its ready to stay in the flock right?