Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Coolest Weber Adventure to date  (Read 788 times)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Coolest Weber Adventure to date
« on: August 13, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
Sometimes, as we all know, we meetup for grills in the oddest of places. We always don't go to peoples homes. Well on Saturday I see an ad for a kettle that is 2:15 each way from me. I make contact with the seller. Her only time is Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. Wednesday doesn't work for me as we are headed to Bethel NY for the 50th Anniversary concerts for Woodstock. So after talking it over with the better half, she's in. Then seller explains there's a Revolutionary fort in the city, Rome NY. We can meet in the parking lot there. We love history so threaten us with a good time. Agreed to meet at noon so we got on the road at 8 AM. We took our time and arrived at 10:30 giving us enough time to check out the fort. It wound up being a National Monument, our 46th.

Standing on top of earthen bunker. One one each corner

Musket demonstration

Counter weights on draw bridge

She arrived a few minutes early and the kettle was secured in the back of the truck.
We always wanted to see a Lock on the Erie Canal so I found Lock 20 Park in Marcy NY. It was just north of Utica and on our way back to I90. What an amazing thing the Erie Canal was in it's day.

I knew by this time in the trip we'd be getting hungry so I found a farmhouse brewery which utilized all NYS Grain and Hops. They offered 13 different beers. Did a sampler flight of 4 5oz. glasses. By far the Cask conditioned Dry Hopped IPA 5.5% ABV was the best by far. Beer was so good we may go back for there Cask Ale Festival in October.

We got back on the road at 2:30 and were home a little before 5. Awesome weather and the best copilot one could ask for. Got to see new places never been and libation never tasted.
For me, one of the best Weber adventures to date.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Coolest Weber Adventure to date
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
Very cool man.  Two years ago we vacationed in the Buffalo and Thousand Islands region and it was awesome.  I almost wonder if we went to the same lock you did at some point and will have to look back on pictures sometime.  The forts are also cool. We went the fort north of Niagra and also enjoyed it.

Only one question. Where is the kettle? Lol

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
Awesome story, love national monuments,  Tami and I stopped at one of the locks when we travelled from Chicago to Gloucester pretty cool all around. Can't wait to see the grill although it may not be the best part of the trip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:59:42 AM »
NICE!
regards,
Hal

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »
Oh damn. Sorry Fellas. Caught up in the story. LMAO
64-68 Texan with a little fade. Outside is super clean. Wish I could say the same for the inside.
Picture from the ad

Picking it up

The lid was filthy. Almost like the flipped it over to cook. Handles to nice to have done that. LOL

Don't think the bowl was ever cleaned

That's what kept it protected

Still a work in progress. This was a 2 hour initial cleaning. Wheels on this are beautiful.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Great story Colin! Love that cooker too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
All that for that old grill, good thing you had some nice beers and a cute copilot
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »
Nice find.  Sorry that the inside is a little rough, but the outside and the wheels are crazy good condition for the age.  I would have made that trip even without the History tour!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »
Nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
Awesome Colin!! What an adventure!!! Grate grill!!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
Cool trip.  Beautiful Texan. 

I love kettle adventures!   Mrs. Militello has started to enjoy them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »
Cool story and a very impressive kettle.
Looks beautiful clean !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan