Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scored a Weathered Warrior  (Read 1057 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Scored a Weathered Warrior
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »
I saw this in north FL and had a friend go pick it up for me. It was listed for $35, I asked my friend to offer $5 as it had been listed 2 weeks already. He didn't make the offer so I overpaid by a solid $34 lol.

On the plus side it's a patent pending with a great patina. And for FL to find a PP is fairly rare. I'm wanting to patch it back together and use it for one of my main cookers. I love how gray it is as well as the rusty patina. I’ll put a wood handle on it but nothing else that will change the look. I'm thinking about spraying the rusty socket areas with that stuff that neutralizes rust, then patching with JB Weld. I'm not really concerned with the look on the sockets. Does anyone have experience with those products, and do they hold up to heat? TIA.

In the market for unicorns: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Re: Scored a Weathered Warrior
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »
Nice score. Looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up again. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
Damn! I wouldn’t attempt to take those legs out at all.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 07:22:20 PM »
Damn! I wouldn’t attempt to take those legs out at all.

No plans to take them out, I don't think I could if I wanted. I just want to stop the rust then fill in with JB Weld to try to stabilize it all.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:23:08 AM »
Now that you are retired you should have plenty of time to make that old girl a sweet cooker @Rub congrats
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:39:51 AM »
Damn!  I wish I was retired. Lol. I haven’t tried any jb weld, but I have thought about having some sockets TIG welded.  Not sure if your leg sockets will hold up to a weld tho.  Keep us posted on what you try. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:10:39 AM »
Damn!  I wish I was retired. Lol. I haven’t tried any jb weld, but I have thought about having some sockets TIG welded.  Not sure if your leg sockets will hold up to a weld tho.  Keep us posted on what you try. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I think a hip replacement
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »
I've used JB weld on a motorcycle engine to stop oil from weeping out where a screwhead busted off.  In another thread, someone said a grill gets significantly hotter than a motorcycle engine & I thought they even had a temp for JB weld.  I believe there might also be a "high temp" JB weld, but I could be wrong.  In other words, someone else thought it would not work.  I'd say look online & see if you can find a max temp.
regards,
Hal

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:04:53 AM »
JB Weld makes “extreme heat” version for exhaust manifolds, mufflers, etc

https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-extremeheat

Looking for MBH 26

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:26:15 AM »
Nice find! looking forward to the restoration pics.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 08:04:41 AM »
Nice patina on that lid. You'll make it cook again. Congrats!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
And it claims to be "great for", among other things, outdoor grills!

JB Weld makes “extreme heat” version for exhaust manifolds, mufflers, etc

https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-extremeheat

regards,
Hal

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

I did a quick and basic job on this today. I took a wire cup to the sockets inside and out to knock off the big rusty stuff. That's when I learned this kettle had the sockets rewelded (somewhat), meaning it is about to see it's 3rd life. Lucky kettle! I sprayed them with the rust converting black primer, then followed that with the Quik Steel Xtreme Heat epoxy. Unfortunately I didn't see the post from @MagnoliaTom on the 1500 degree stuff. The version I used is rated to 500 degrees which should hold for most applications. If it doesn't I'll redo it with the 1500 product. I also bought ss fender washers, bolts and nuts just in case I need to go that route. Lastly I straightened the handle and put on a walnut @zavod44 handle on this '71-72 kettle. I cooked some thighs on it tonight to get some good grease coating the inside. Weather was crappy so no good pics today but I'll try again tomorrow.

*Edit - well they're not in order, but you can figure it out ;)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:49:46 PM by Rub »

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
Looking good! Now time to get cooking [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looking for MBH 26

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 02:19:55 AM »
Your not worried about any weird gasses or anything coming off the jjbweld when you cook? Not trying to bring your fix down, just curious. It cost me 20 to get some leg sockets welded.