Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Here is what I picked up today.  (Read 3628 times)

70monte

• WKC Brave
Here is what I picked up today.
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
I was on CL today looking at tools and pulled up a picture of a table saw that was at a pawnshop.  In the background I could see a weber grill but couldn't tell what kind because the saw was blocking the full view.  I could see that it had a performer or mastertouch type lid.  I called and they said they still had it and wanted $137 for it.  The lady told me it had a table attached to it so I figured it was a performer.  I had her tell me the code on the damper and it was a DI code. 

I went and looked at it and it was very dirty and the lid handle was bent and the top of the bowl under the handle was pushed in a little.  The lid holder rollers are melted so they need to be replaced.  Everything was there and the cooking grate was in great shape, not rusty at all but dirty.  The one touch cleaning system was also in good shape with no rust.  The bowl is in perfect condition with no chips or dents.  It was a gas assist 2007 model.  I offered $85 for it.  She called the owner and he accepted the price. 

Here is a picture of it before I cleaned anything.

Here is a picture of it after I cleaned it up.  I hooked a gas cylinder up to it and the gas assist works.  Even the igniter worked.  The table is not cracked and cleaned up perfect.  The top of the lid is the only bad part.

I have not decided if I will order a new lid.  I will have to find out how much they cost.

Wayne

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
Re: Here is what I picked up today.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »
great job on the grill and the haggle...........
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Lids are about $40.00 , usually you can get a free shipping deal
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »
Nice find!  Can't hurt to give Weber CS a call... the lid might still be under warranty; they've definitely been known to ship out new ones at no charge.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Congrats!  Great price!!  Welcome to the performer club :D
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
Very nice deal! Cleaned up nicely too!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
Have a safe trip home.
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »
Nice score!  "Honest Honey i was just looking at tools!" ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »
Congrats!  Great price!!  Welcome to the performer club :D

Thanks guys.  I already have a performer, a SS red one from I think about 1995.  I would have to go look at the code again.  I was just looking at a new performer at our local Outdoor Home store that was blue and was thinking that I kind of like the newer style also and how the table was a little higher than the SS one.  I will call Weber and see what they tell me about the lid and to order some replacement lid holder rollers.

Wayne

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »
If the lid is caved in a little, Place it handle down into a 5 gallon bucket. Push on the dent from the inside of the lid and I bet it pops out good as new. Had to do the same thing to the Platinum I gave me dad.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
If the lid is caved in a little, Place it handle down into a 5 gallon bucket. Push on the dent from the inside of the lid and I bet it pops out good as new. Had to do the same thing to the Platinum I gave me dad.

Thank you very much for this tip.  It worked very well.  It popped almost all of the dent out.  I then straightened the handle up as much as I could.  I got it pretty straight.  I painted the spots on the handle that the porcelain came off and put a handle on from one of my weber chimney's that I haven't used yet.  Since the rest of the lid is in good shape with only some light scratches, I will just keep it and not buy a new one.  The thermometer goes in a little hard now but at least it won't fall out.

The ash bowl handle was rusty so I took it off and sanded the rust off and put a rust converting primer on it.  I will paint it tomorrow when the primer cures and that should do it except for some new rollers for the lid holder.  I will take some pictures of the new handle tomorrow.

Wayne

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »
Thank you very much for this tip.  It worked very well.  It popped almost all of the dent out. 

Excellent! Glad I could help!
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
I ordered some new rollers today but they are out of stock until next week hopefully.  I did my first cook on it tonight and cooked some boneless pork chops which turned out very good.  It takes forever for the temps to come down on this grill.  It's probably because where the lid and bowl meet are not air tight.  I closed all the vents after I was done cooking and will see if it kills the fire and leaves any charcoal.

I have a question about the gas cylinders.  I looked up the owner's manual last night and it says not to leave the cylinder attached when not cooking.  Do you guys take yours off when not using the grill or just leave it on.  I've always left the 5lb tank hooked up on my 95 Performer.  Thanks.

Wayne

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »
I think they say that because there isn't a shut-off valve on the tank itself.  Me, I leave mine on 24/7
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Well, shutting all of the vents killed the coals and there were quite a few left for the next cook so it's more airtight than I thought.

I took off the gas cylinder just to be on the same side.  I will probably leave it on in the future.  Thanks.

Wayne