Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: crackling from skin on pork butt?  (Read 554 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
crackling from skin on pork butt?
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »
Going to do a pulled pork this weekend.  Wife got the pork at the store and it looks like its still wrapped in skin.  Should I leave that on for the cook or maybe try to remove it to make crackling?  If its worth trying the crackling, what are some methods to go for?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: crackling from skin on pork butt?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:35:46 AM »
Do you have a picture of what you have?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
crackling from skin on pork butt?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:30:40 AM »
I know what he means. Some butts come with a good portion of skin/fat on one side of them. Picnics are like that more often than not. You could try and crisp it (but it won’t turn out like a chicharron unless you remove it). You could also explore the use of a kitchen torch. I think Malcom reed has a video where he did a picnic and was able to get some really nice crispy skin on it? If I recall he wrapped a portion and left the other part unwrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:34:30 AM by Mike in Roseville »

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 06:11:18 AM »
You could try and crisp it (but it won’t turn out like a chicharron unless you remove it).

Well I was thinking of removing and cooking separately if its worth the effort!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
I have done it with the skin removed from a picnic shoulder, and an internet recipe for chicharrones. It took two days, and provided a handful of fried goodness.
Some recipes are quicker, but one shoulder doesn't yield much after rendering and drying.

$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC