Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal lighting  (Read 1400 times)

mdanderson78

• Happy Cooker
Charcoal lighting
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »
What is the best method for starting your charcoal by everyone?  I use a chimney right now with the Weber lighter cubes and my neighbors complain about the amount of smoke.  I do not want to use lighter fluid.  If I use the chimney on a side burner for a gas grill will I get less smoke?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
That stinks the neighbors are complaining.  I live in a tightly grouped old part of town and cook out almost every night. Luckily my neighbors don’t mind the smoke.

With that said, I do think a gas burner of some kind will help ignite a little faster with a little less smoke. Also lump charcoal lights much faster so that’s an additional option to help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
I use a can of Sterno under my charcoal chimney to light my coals. No excessive smoke and very quick.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
I use the gas assist in my performer.  It works great. 

Kingsford blue is the only charcoal I’ve used that smokes excessively and really stinks.

Lump is good like hoosierkettle said.  Hardwood briquettes are next best. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdanderson78

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies it has been very helpful.  I currently have a bag of the Kingsford Blue professional briquets so maybe that is my problem.  I will have to try using my chimney with the gas assist and see if that helps.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal lighting
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
A 100K btu high pressure wok burner gets the charcoal going in no time with minimal smoke.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:27:26 AM by Jules V. »

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
For me cubes and lighter fluid are no go. Don't like the smell or taste but then again I'm fussy about taste and won't use snake method on cooks either. Used chimneys for first time over the 4th to fire up the ranch grill and that was an experience I don't want to repeat again, messy, smoky, dirty etc....

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-1258466R06-Electric-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B06W5VR3ZF/ref=asc_df_B06W5VR3ZF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061703654&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10146038489408901328&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021115&hvtargid=pla-352260047478&psc=1

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
I use a chimney and find putting a layer of lump, and then Kingsford on top helps with the smoke.  The lump starts quick, and gets the Kingsford heated up to minimize the smoke.  At least I think it helps!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »
the answer is lump!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 11:20:29 PM »
I have been using my LooftLighter that I got for the last few cooks and I’m impressed! The chimney setup works fine but kind of works in the same way as my pellet fire place in the house... right before it “lights” off and goes to flame it will smoke with the best of them.. BUT with the LooftLighter the heat is already there!
There is almost NO smoke because the briquettes or lump goes direct to glowing hot in 60 sec or so ! Real fast and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:15 AM »
@mdanderson78 Check out this thread for another interesting way http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/faster-charcoal-lighting

If you don't have a second chimney, you could achieve the same results by putting something else on top to achieve the same tall chimney effect (old coffee can, huge tomato can from local pizza joint or a piece of hvac conduit or other thin sheet of metal you just roll up to fit inside.
regards,
Hal

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »
I dont think the method used to light the charcoal matters much.  I wont use Kingsford anymore if I can avoid it due to the excessive smoke when its first lighting.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »
Smoke while lighting is only half the battle. I frequently cook direct with the lid off and the grill belches smoke from the grease dripping on the coals. Much like a gas grill belches smoke when cooking. My grease smoke is typically worse than my start up smoke but smells a hell of a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »
Every method I've tried so far belches smoke all over the place. Every type of charcoal I've tried belches smoke all over the place. The least smoke I get is probably when I load up charcoal into my Weber CharBaskets and then light them in the basket.

I haven't done the pyramid method in a long time, so I can't remember how smokey that gets, but it might cut down on your smoke if you don't have baskets.

socal-griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 02:15:44 AM »
Propane hand torch. Specifically, the Bernzomatic TS800. No need to go with Map-Pro fuel. Arrange your charcoal, hit the stack where you see fit. Sparks with lump, yes. Clouds of ash everywhere (as with a chimney and made worse on a windy day), no.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:18:43 AM by socal-griller »