Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anybody seen this before?  (Read 807 times)

drewhasaproblem

• Happy Cooker
Has anybody seen this before?
« on: June 26, 2019, 06:39:08 AM »
Hey Y'all! 

It's my first post here, although I'm not particularly new to kettles.  This M-code beauty I picked up yesterday is the 11th one I have at the moment.  I've never seen one with writing in French like this though.  Has anybody else?  Any info on the story behind it would be great!  Thanks!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Has anybody seen this before?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 06:42:19 AM »
My guess would be that it was meant to be shipped to Franch and got held back for some reason, got mixed in with some US kettles at the factory, or the long shot is that someone paid to have it shipped over.

Maybe the French authorities did not think that the made in USA on the removable vent was acceptable as it could be easily removed.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 06:57:14 AM »
Maybe someone who lived in France moved here for work & their employer paid to move them, so they moved all sorts of stuff you'd normally leave behind.
regards,
Hal

drewhasaproblem

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 07:14:55 AM »
These both make perfect sense to me.  I'm contemplating whether it's worth contacting Weber directly and asking if they know anything.  I'm really curious about the story.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:18:27 AM »
Very interesting, curios as well
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
Basically, it is an M code (1990) and says, in French, something like "Manufactured in the United States" according to Google translate.

My GUESS is: 
The EU started in 1993, 3 years after this grill.  Although, there were pre-cursors like the EEC.  If memory serves, the it was the EU that really created a true common market.
So, I suspect in 1993, France had laws (similar to US laws) that require the country of origin be placed on items sold within France that are manufactured outside France.  Although "Made in USA" appears on the vent is in English, the greater glory of France required it to be in English. 
After the EU was enacted, I believe they would have to put up with the three "main" languages under the EU, English, German or French (my understanding is that France insisted on the French, for the greater glory of France), so you will probably not see this on grills sold in France from around 1993 onward. 

I would happily trade you for a very nice Lobster Thermidor & a dozen fresh croissants.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:25:04 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

drewhasaproblem

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »
Basically, it is an M code (1990) and says, in French, something like "Manufactured in the United States" according to Google translate.

My GUESS is: 
The EU started in 1993, 3 years after this grill.  Although, there were pre-cursors like the EEC.  If memory serves, the it was the EU that really created a true common market.
So, I suspect in 1993, France had laws (similar to US laws) that require the country of origin be placed on items sold within France that are manufactured outside France.  Although "Made in USA" appears on the vent is in English, the greater glory of France required it to be in English. 
After the EU was enacted, I believe they would have to put up with the three "main" languages under the EU, English, German or French (my understanding is that France insisted on the French, for the greater glory of France), so you will probably not see this on grills sold in France from around 1993 onward.

That's great information, thank you!  Kind of sounds like it was possibly sold in France and then brought over here (like you previously said).  That's pretty crazy if true.  Definitely makes it one of my favorites in the collection.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
It is pretty cool & I'm not a Francophile.  I'll up my offer & throw in a daily baguette for 3 weeks.

If you find one with the same thing writtin in Gaelic, I'll have you swimming in Guinness & Tullamore Dew.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:29:14 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »
Etats Unis is french for "United States". What it says is "Manufactured in the United States". Now, and this is just a guess, is that this is some sort of demo unit that was shipped to France, or possibly Quebec. Your best bet would be to contact Weber and see if they can throw some additional information about it.

drewhasaproblem

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
Etats Unis is french for "United States". What it says is "Manufactured in the United States". Now, and this is just a guess, is that this is some sort of demo unit that was shipped to France, or possibly Quebec. Your best bet would be to contact Weber and see if they can throw some additional information about it.

I did contact them.  Just waiting on a response now.  I'll let y'all know what they come back with. Thanks!

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 10:26:27 AM »
Grate score either way. Love to hear the story behind it as well. Enjoy it.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
I'd also love to hear the story about finding "Le grill Weber"

regards,
Hal

drewhasaproblem

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 10:56:00 AM »
So far, there's not much to it.  I have a Kettle hoarding problem, and didn't have a red one yet.  I found this one on Facebook marketplace just up the street from my office, but had no idea it was anything other than a normal red M code.  I gave the guy $80 thinking I could check a color off of my list (only green left to get now), and noticed the writing on it when I got home.  I was still just thinking it was some weird quirk I'd never heard of, and that other people would have one.  The longer it takes to figure out the more curious I get.  Now we patiently await Weber's response, and hope they have some idea about it I guess.  I'm afraid I'll never actually know what exactly it is, but we'll see.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
God damn it.  Now I have to go to France & look for some grills. 
regards,
Hal

drewhasaproblem

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
God damn it.  Now I have to go to France & look for some grills.

I mean, I can think of worse excuses to go on vacation.