Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: may I ask a questoin about as non-Weber kettle grill - the Kingsford 22.5"?  (Read 1966 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
I just happened to stumble upon it while looking at the charcoal options from Kingsford. it's got positive reviews, aside from the temperature gauge being garbage, which is a common problem with grills as a rule. however, there are very few reviews, with this one being the most detailed...and it's not that detailed:
http://grillsexpert.com/best-kingsford-grills/kingsford-ogd2001901-kf-outdoor-charcoal-kettle-grill-review/

what's grabbed my eye:
- 22.5" porcelain coated kettle grill
- hinged lid
- ash catcher bucket
- 4 legs with tool tray and bottom self

what concerns me:
comment about porcelain coated steel being 'thin'.

however, the fact that it's bigger than the Jumbo Joe, has a ash catcher bucket and is $10 cheaper than the Jumbo Joe makes me want to try it out. it's got a lot of premium features for quarter the price of the Master Touch and Napoleon Pro Kettle.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/kettle-series-525-sq-in-black-charcoal-barbecue/p/6420160
- note pricing is in CAD funds
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
"thin" is probably the operative word.  My guess is the other issue is "made in China", which is probably why the coating has been complained about.

If you can afford to, buy yourself one of the colored Webers.  If you need to save some $, but a used Weber for now.  It will still last you a very, very long time.  If you are near the border, consider a min-vacation in the US & pick up a used one while you are here & take it back with you.  My guess is you'll be better off in the long run.

The other day, as I was moving the ash sweeps back & fourth a boatload of times before taking the ashcan off to dump them out, I wondered if this was actually any easier than just cleaning the ashes out of the old ones with the daisy wheels.  But, maybe it was more of a pain then I remember.
regards,
Hal

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
There are reviews for this on YouTube.  What I saw is the ash catcher is poorly designed and ill fitting.  The venting system was really leaky, so temp control is poor.  It's your money, but you will not go wrong with a Weber.  You get what you pay for. 

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
your comments are more than enough to disuade me.

really, this is a good example for the rule of thumb, 'if it's too good to be true, it usually is'.

Jumbo Joe it is!  :)

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
False economy.

A Weber will out live 10 of those things.

VERY thin metal.
Poor quality porcelain.
Leaky vents.
Crappy leg sockets.
If I recall correctly the legs are thin steel which will rust in no time.

Don't waste your money.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
...And, this review video alone, is more than enough to further discourage (or deter) anyone in the WKC, or ANYBODY!, from ever purchasing the Kingsford 22.5"!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjQtn9GUIY

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Are you near any town or city?  Why not get a used 22 Weber?  There really isn’t anything comparable in my opinion. Even new they are worth every penny given their proven track record for durability.

Get a Weber and get grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
It's Kingsford. As is their charcoal... it's crap. Just buy a used weber grill.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Check Craigslist and garage sales, you can get a kettle for 5-20 bucks where I'm at. Then 30 for stainless ash sweeps and it will last a long time. Check to make sure the leg sockets are sturdy. I had one welded, but it cost me 20 bucks to get it done, and ive found good ones since then for cheap. You will have a back yard full of webers in no time

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
lets say I live somewhere remote enough that CL, Kijiji etc are non-starters. the population is too small for much of any used sales.

it's okay though, I'll get the Jumbo Joe as originally planned.  :)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
lets say I live somewhere remote enough that CL, Kijiji etc are non-starters. the population is too small for much of any used sales.

it's okay though, I'll get the Jumbo Joe as originally planned.  :)

I had a feeling you were remote.

All the more reason to get something built to last.

You can’t go wrong with a jumbo joe. I don’t have one but I have friends that swear by them along with a lot of people on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I'm hoping to get one when, I think it is @brewtownbeatdown, gets rid of his blue one.
regards,
Hal

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
I'm hoping to get one when, I think it is @brewtownbeatdown, gets rid of his blue one.
When I get rid of...[emoji23] 

This one is in it’s forever home:

When I get rid of...still[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Those Kingsford grills suck. I was given 10 of them as part of a grant I wrote to teach my students how to grill. The grills didn’t even last 1 school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Drop the Mike,  Rob.
Nuff said.