Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: History of Simpsons (Homer) Grill  (Read 6576 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
History of Simpsons (Homer) Grill
« on: January 27, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
I was wondering why the Simpsons got a kettle.  There are many logo grills that Weber has done and I understand they are paid promotions, but why a television show.  I get that it was for the 10 year anniversary but did Fox pay to have it done or did Weber approach them.  Anyone know the story of this kettle?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: History of Simpsons (Homer) Grill
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
DOH!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
Homer would use a Weber grill on the show.

Webers rule

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
Basically, this is the story I got from Weber.

In 2000 there was a "thing" called Simpson's Fanfest? I think. To honour that Weber made the Simpson's grills, as a Sears exclusive. Given that, I'm guessing Weber was approached by Sears to make the grills. I'm not sure how well sales went, because after some time, Weber took the unsold grills back and sold them off.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:34:22 PM »
I was at the Weber factory sale in Huntley the following year. I picked up my 22 Simpsons there I think it was $75 at the time. There were PALLETS of them...shoulda coulda woulda.......If I only knew....This was LONG before I was bitten by Weberitis

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
^^^how cool.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
I was at the Weber factory sale in Huntley the following year. I picked up my 22 Simpsons there I think it was $75 at the time. There were PALLETS of them...shoulda coulda woulda.......If I only knew....This was LONG before I was bitten by Weberitis
Do the still have factory sales?

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »
@Kneab   Weber stopped doing them at least 10 yrs. ago. They originally had them in Palatine and then switched to Huntley when they opened up the distribution warehouse there. The lines were CRAZY long to get in. I waited at least 4 ours to get in. They took people through the warehouse with one of their employees and I'm sure it got to big and probably stopped for that reason.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
Weber marketing guy: "Should we make yellow grills again? Do you think people will like them?"

Weber warehouse guy: "Nah, last time we had yellow grills we had to buy them back by the palletful and they're sitting in the warehouse"

Weber marketing guy: " Hmmmm. Ok. "

:(
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 04:57:43 PM »
Weber marketing guy: "Should we make yellow grills again? Do you think people will like them?"

Weber warehouse guy: "Nah, last time we had yellow grills we had to buy them back by the palletful and they're sitting in the warehouse"

Weber marketing guy: " Hmmmm. Ok. "

:(

Sub in " Canadian Special Edition color" for "yellow".   Same conversation for the Canadian SE MT in the future.   ;D

Damn! I don't like this guy Homer.  That is not even a Weber grill.  It has 2 front legs. Plus, look at him using lighter fluid.  Why should I want to have a nice yellow kettle with him on it. 

Just kidding! These are somewhat collectable 10th Homer Simpsons anniversary special edition kettles. I would not mind having one but not to crazy about having Homer on the kettle for real.

Don't get me wrong. If one came up for sale locally, I would get it for sure.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:16:50 PM by greenweb »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
@Kneab   Weber stopped doing them at least 10 yrs. ago. They originally had them in Palatine and then switched to Huntley when they opened up the distribution warehouse there. The lines were CRAZY long to get in. I waited at least 4 ours to get in. They took people through the warehouse with one of their employees and I'm sure it got to big and probably stopped for that reason.
My dad and sis went to one of the ones in Palatine years ago. I should have gone with.

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »

Webers rule

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
Time to revive this thread.  I just got my SJ yesterday and am being tempted by an available 22.  Maybe @Craig can enlighten us on the story and how many were made?