Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Solid metal triangle kettle lead  (Read 1102 times)

Cellar2ful

Solid metal triangle kettle lead
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »
Yesterday, I went to my local paint store to see if they could match the tiny bit of paint left on the wheels of my 58 Custom.  The employee asked me what the wheel was from.  Well that's all it took for me to geek out and start talking Webers.  I whipped out my phone and showed him photos of my Custom.  A paint contractor standing behind became intrigued and also joined in on the conversation.  He gave me a few painting tips and I left with my quart of oil based gloss enamel. 

Today, I went back to the same store as I wasn't happy with the color match or the sheen of the gloss paint.  The same employee and painter from the day before were both there again.  I engage once again in a conversation with the painter.  He tells me he has his Dad's Weber kettle from the 70's at home. My heart rate jumps a bit and I ask him what color the kettle is.   He responds black (heart rate returns to normal).  I explain that the black kettles are not coveted by collectors as the colored ones are from the 70's.  I once again whip out my phone and start showing him photos of limes, yellows, cados and coppermists and ask if his Dad's kettle has metal handles.  He says he can't recall because it is dismantled and is in a box, almost new.  Again my heart rate jumps.  It's at this point he says something that really grabs my attention.  He says, "The one I have doesn't have a wire type triangle, the one it has is solid metal".  I show him a photo of my Custom again, pointing out the solid triangular ash pan.  He says yep, I think that's what it looks like. I explain that if it does have a solid triangle, it will probably be from the 50's instead of the 70's.  It was at this point his order was hand trucked our from the back.  He had to leave so we exchanged phone numbers and I will be following up on this lead next week. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of kettle this turns out to be. Wood Dale, Weber Brothers Metal Works or is he just mistaken about the solid triangle.  You just never know where your next lead on a vintage Weber will come from.

BTW, please tell me I'm not the only one that has "baby" pictures of their vintage Webers in their phone gallery................

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:26:45 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JPotter

• WKC Brave
Re: Solid metal triangle kettle lead
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »
Awesome story . Just goes to show u never know!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »
Good luck![emoji1303][emoji256]

Yes.  I have a Weber folder. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Good luck on the lead.
regards,
Hal

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
I think most of us here have a Weber folder. At least I hope there are more of us. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Good luck on the kettle too.[emoji106]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:57:44 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Solid metal triangle kettle lead
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
I have 5 kids between my girlfriend and I, don’t think I have any pictures of them, but bbq’s and food pics?  YEP, got those!!....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »
I wish you all the best. I hope it works out for you.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
I’m gonna put some positive thoughts out there for you.  Wishing you the best of luck[emoji1696]

You’re definitely not alone having grill pics cluttering up your phone.  I’ve got 6,000(ish) pics on my phone, and I’d have to guess that 40% of ‘em pertain to grills. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
Hopefully you’ll be a part of uncovering a real special grill Jim.
As far as pictures. My phone is loaded with pictures of my grandsons or of grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
Having the sickness bad, my phone is jammed with grill pics.
Then occasionally you have the awkward moment where you want
to show someone a non-Weber pic on your phone, and they give you
that bewildered look as you have to scroll past dozens of grill pics
to find whatever it is you are looking for. 

Looking forward to how this story turns out.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:12:00 AM »
THAT is funny.  Although, it sounds like a good moment to try recruiting another set of eyeballs to be on the lookout for you.

….Then occasionally you have the awkward moment where you want
to show someone a non-Weber pic on your phone, and they give you
that bewildered look as you have to scroll past dozens of grill pics
to find whatever it is you are looking for. ….
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:13:38 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 05:32:02 AM »
Wait...what did you say about black kettles? [emoji6]

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 06:17:54 AM »
Wait...what did you say about black kettles? [emoji6]

(lol)- Figured that comment was going to draw a response from you Mike. I was speaking to monetary value as he had asked about valuation. Remember I do have Robigus and Saritoga, the 18" and 26" black (at one time) weathered warriors.

Thank you for everyone's disclosures regarding their phone pics. I feel better now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:22:58 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
I guess I'm the odd duck... I have NO pictures on my phone. All of my photos are taken with my Nikon digital cameras (lots of lenses) and downloaded to my computer.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »
Good luck Jim, I hope it pans out for you.
Guilty as well!

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH