Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One touch ash sweep/handle replacement on EE MT  (Read 863 times)

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
One touch ash sweep/handle replacement on EE MT
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
Hey all-

Picked up an EE Red Mist MT a few weeks back in great condition. It was missing the sweeps, so as I’m cleaning it up and putting it back together it is going to be a part I’m going to have to buy/harvest from another grill. Seeing as it’s a ‘99 and has the older style ash can (with the bar across the can), what part will I need? Will this part fit?

Weber 7444 22-1/2-Inch One-Touch Cleaning System Kit for Grills https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVAZ3A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lHJQCbF4CPKDG

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Re: One touch ash sweep/handle replacement on EE MT
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:33:55 AM »
You can use those sweeps. They won't fit with the bar but there are a hand full of options for you to get around it.
Claps on the legs
Wire around the legs and collar
Grind down the bar you have and use it instead of H retaining ring that comes with the sweeps.

Beautiful Mist by the way
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
One touch ash sweep/handle replacement on EE MT
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:17:36 AM »
You can use those sweeps. They won't fit with the bar but there are a hand full of options for you to get around it.
Claps on the legs
Wire around the legs and collar
Grind down the bar you have and use it instead of H retaining ring that comes with the sweeps.

Beautiful Mist by the way

Thanks Wrangler! Am still weighing options. A local grill fella recommended using auto clamps as pictured. May go with something like that until I can maybe find another MT cheaply to transplant from. Thoughts? I also have a message in to Weber CS to see if the old sweeps are still by chance something that Weber has available for sale. Waiting for reply.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:06 AM »
Here is what I meant about using the bar with the reg new sweeps. No option is perfect but they all seem to work well enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
Was able to remove the screw holding the sweep in, but having difficulty removing the broken arm and sweep assembly. I’ve heard this can be a bit tricky. Anyone with advice? I was thinking liquid wrench, light hammer taps?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »
First remove the ring that holds the ash bucket.  It can be squeezed enough to pull the cross bar tabs out from one side, then the other side will slide out. Cut off what is left of the rod on both sides of the hex nut, flush with the nut.  A Dremel  or hacksaw can be used.  Then one tap with a hammer and the entire assembly will drop through the cross bar.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:45:50 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
I've removed about 5 of these,  3 intact using either vice grips or tapping from the opposite end. A towel helps to keep the arm from getting damaged.  If all else fails I've brought out the grinder.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:32:04 AM »
Amazing that the arm broke off but you were still able to unscrew the thumbscrew.

Just cut the remnants off flush and the nut looking part will slide right through.  If the blades are still good you might even be able to drill or knock out the broken handle part with a small punch and reuse with the now shorter handle.