Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for new BBQ toolset  (Read 1124 times)

CurtP

• WKC Brave
Looking for new BBQ toolset
« on: March 29, 2019, 06:57:16 AM »
Being a big Wusthof fan, I thought I'd treat myself to a nice set of grill tools and ordered the 2804 BBQ toolset.  I knew they would be stamped, but I was expecting them to be made in Germany.  Unfortunately, they're made in China.  I don't trust Chinese stainless and was hoping to find something made with materials sourced from USA, Germany or Japan and preferably NSF certified.  Any suggestions?

Cellar2ful

Re: Looking for new BBQ toolset
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:49:34 AM »
I have both of these spatulas that I've been using for well over 40 years.  Both are manufactured by restaurant supply companys and their products are made in America.  The smaller one is a Dexter and the long handle spatula is a Lamson.  They are expensive but are lifetime investments. Lamson products carry a lifetime guarantee. Both companies make a multitude of BBQ and kitchen utensils.

Here's links to their individual websites.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/dexter-russell

https://lamsonproducts.com/collections/barbeque-tools
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:32:42 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
I use the small one to clean/scrape my cast iron and the large one is the best burger spatula you will ever use - great weight

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:38:34 AM »
I was trying to avoid wood, and I do like Dexter's Sani-Safe handles.  I think this is what I'll order, unless I can drag myself to go to Restaurant Depot.  I hate Restaurant Depot - they make me spend money on things I didn't intend on buying.

6"x5" hamburger turner, p/n 16453
13" cook's fork, p/n 14443

Dexter doesn't make tongs.  I did order a set of Swiss made cooking tweezers (https://agrussell.com/knife/Cooking-Tweezers--HK-14), but I'm still searching for heavy duty spring loaded tongs.  You know the ones that you have to clack together repeatedly until you have sufficiently annoyed the wife...

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
China, unfortunately.  And to be clear, it's not that they're made in China that is my main issue, it's Chinese stainless.  If they were made in USA out of Chinese stainless, I wouldn't buy them either.  That probably means I should be giving Weber a call about their stainless grates.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
I've had no complaints about the quality of materials in my OXO.  Nice thing about them is the hanging loop fits nicely on wide SSP hanging hooks.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »

China, unfortunately.  And to be clear, it's not that they're made in China that is my main issue, it's Chinese stainless.  If they were made in USA out of Chinese stainless, I wouldn't buy them either.  That probably means I should be giving Weber a call about their stainless grates.

I’ll bet the Weber grates are probably Chinese stainless. My Vortex did a number on one of my old Weber stainless grates a few years back. From a corporate standpoint 304 is 304. If European 304 is 40% more than Chinese 304, in many applications it makes sense for corporations to go cheaper for the bottom line.

I know it’s a preference, but honestly, unless it’s something that is sensitive to tolerances or a machined part that is under continuous stress I’m not sure how much of a difference you’ll find in metallurgical alloys for something like a spatula.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 04:21:12 AM »
It's a concern about Chinese stainless having unacceptable levels of Pb and Hg.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 01:59:06 PM »
I tend to get all my made in the USA SS barbeque tools from garage sales & thrift stores.  If it is neat looking, I'll even buy Made in Japan.
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
It's a concern about Chinese stainless having unacceptable levels of Pb and Hg.

Totally understand where you're coming from. Chinese steel (especially Stainless) has suffered from quality control issues in the past. Usually producers with low quality steel don't last long in the industry. Like you said before American companies can still make products here with Chinese steel so its a lot tougher to figure out where the metal is actually produced.

Like Hal said, vintage stuff can be a good bet or items made in Europe or Japan that usually produces better quality 304.

At the end of the day, I'm personally concerned with concentrations of Mercury in the fish I eat rather than the stainless steel it's cooked on. My Korean friend told me years ago that he never buys any seafood/food products from China. He'll buy from Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Vietnam....but he told me to always pass if it's made in China. That's always stuck with me.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 01:44:10 PM »
I've never been a fan of BBQ Tool Sets, at least the ones I've come across so far.  They are typically not as effective or as easy to use this (simpler) kind of stuff:

Not sure where any of it was made.  The tongs are probably at least 10 years old.  I've never found a set of "BBQ" tongs that we comfortable to use.  These are the best.

I've used the spatula for 30+ years (it's much older).  It was there when I joined my Elks Lodge and, when we sold our building, me and the other guys who cooked there each adopted one. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna