Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OMG! How $15 roached out HC turned into a (yellow 73-74) $7 "The Yachtsman"  (Read 1656 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Who would have ever thought Tom Petty would be so on topic?
https://youtu.be/uMyCa35_mOg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:29:48 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
For those who haven't guessed, I found something that MIGHT be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:48:02 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: OMG!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
Ok? Is it that you are “waiting” on a status update for a grill? Or that it might potentially be Tom Petty’s old BBQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Sometime yesterday or late the night before, I noticed an ad for an estate sale that was already over a week old, but I skimmed through the pics & nothing was of interest.  I looked at the text of the ad and noticed they mentioned a Weber grill, so I messaged them.

Often, I only bother to ask the color, but recently started asking (fairly often anyway) if they can send a pic (you never know, it might reveal a black w/triangular ashpan, DEMO on top, or whatever.  Plus, then you don't have to ask the follow up question if it is gas or charcoal.  Some time later, they mention that they will be over there later & take some pics for me as the Weber grill had not sold.

Some time passes & I receive to pics along with "$15".  Without even enlarging the pics, I recognize the handle as a Happy Cooker, not a Weber.  So, I immediately go to the pic with the lid off & zoom right in to see if the ashpan is there.  It is, but you can see a hole in it.  Also, the handle on the front of the kettle is completely missing. 

So, I zoom out & start replying "Thank you for your time, but I'm looking for something in better condition (or whatever), yada, yada, yada".  (I always figure if they go through the effort & I don't buy it, the least I can do is thank them for taking the time). I'm about to send the email, but something made me stop.  I go back & look at the pics again and notice a little something next to the HC, deleted that email, & asked "how much for the yellow one next to it"?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:15:18 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I actually cropped the photos a bit, just at the tops & bottoms, because otherwise they were coming out sideways when I posted.  These were what I actually got, but reduced slightly in file size to fit the boards limits.
regards,
Hal

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
So.... congrats?   Hopefully you secured the Yachtsman, looks like the HC is wearing the twist on ash pan.  Might as well take the HC/ash pan while you’re there.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
In any event, as soon as I noticed it was a Happy Cooker, I was son intent on the internal ash pan, that I didn't even notice that flash of yellow next to it. 

After messaging her, I waited, and waited, and waited.  Then I waited some more.  Started wondering if they might ask if I had any for sale, or something. 

Finally, I get a response.  Something like, "$7, but it is missing a leg".  So, immediately send her a message that I'll buy it & that I'd like to look at any more bbq items, including cookbooks, if there is any tomorrow.  Also mentioned, I'd take a look at whatever is left.  So, now I'm like OMG (I don't have a yellow yet & for $7, I'd probably buy it regardless of it's shape).

Then I wait, I wait, I wait, & I wait some more.  Finally she says, message me tomorrow what time you want to come by.  Stopped by today picked it up.  While I was there, I picked up a hand tool, a door threshold thing, a flowered tablecloth that looked like it is from the same era as when Weber had some flowered kettle covers.  I did notice the external ashpan was on the HC (see pics) while I was there & I found what may be the original grate in the basement (it was a heavier quality). 

Then I wait, wait, wait, wait & start wondering if maybe I shouldn't have posted the OMG on the board.  What happens if someone sees it on the board & then combs through stuff & finds the same breadcrumbs as I did?  On the plus side, it was located in a minority nieghborhood on the southside, but a relatively decent working class neighborhood.  Since many Caucasians don't know the difference, I figured that might keep it safe from poachers even if someone else found it during the intervening time.

Since this morning, it's been sitting in the back of my SUV. The lid is sitting on top of the grates & ashpan inside a garbage bag.  Kettle is inside a different garbage bag (fair amount of caked on ash there). Triangle, 2 legs & wheels didn't get that treatment.  It had the early plastic wheels '73-'76 (before they said "WEBER".  I'll post better pics later.

"Seller" was a friend of the family helping them out because she is retired & can meet people during the day when everyone else is at work.  She still tried selling me that HC.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:15:15 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
THANK YOU.  The Yachtsman is safe & secure.  It has been in the back of my vehicle since this morning.  The HC ash pan was rusted through, blew up the pics right away to look and didn't even notice the Yachtsman because I was so intent of the ash pan. 

Good eye regarding the HC wearing the Yachtsman's ash pan.  I noticed it while I was there & mentioned it went with the yellow grill.  Would have been bummed if I'd left it behind.

It's got some blemishes, but is in pretty nice shape & will clean up nicely.  For $7, I can't imagine what shape it would have had to have been in for me to say "nah".

It is my first yellow, so I'm tickled pink.

So.... congrats?   Hopefully you secured the Yachtsman, looks like the HC is wearing the twist on ash pan.  Might as well take the HC/ash pan while you’re there.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:18:23 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

FarmerQue

• Smokey Joe
Awesome score.  Can't wait to see the reveal pictures.  I've noticed in the last few months while driving I'm looking in side yards and back yards more and more.  Just to see what kind of grills/smokers people have and if maybe, just maybe you stumble upon a treasure waiting to be had. 

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thank you!  I do the same thing, checking out what I see in backyards as I'm driving around.

Awesome score.  Can't wait to see the reveal pictures.  I've noticed in the last few months while driving I'm looking in side yards and back yards more and more.  Just to see what kind of grills/smokers people have and if maybe, just maybe you stumble upon a treasure waiting to be had.
regards,
Hal

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Good eye, great score!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thanks.  When I noticed it, I didn't want to be over eager, so I just asked how much it was.  Then after she didn't answer, I messaged again & said that it looked like it was in better shape.  Then, I was worried that the second message was too soon & might start her wondering why I was so eager for the one that was barely in the pic.  It took several hours for her to get back to me and I imagined all sorts of scenarios.  That is when the Tom Petty song started going through my head.

2 of 3 bottom vents are fairly bent.  I might wind up drilling out the rivets, try bending/pounding them back into shape & then re-riveting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:24:45 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
The first two photos are the top & bottom still in the cheap garbage bags that I like to use for pickups.  There was plenty of ashes caked inside. 
Third pic is the top vent, with a patent number.  It has the early completely plastic wheels circa 73-76.
Fourth pic is a round tablecloth that I bought right off a table inside the house for $1. It looks like something of the same era & I thought would look good on a table next to this grill.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
A couple more pics.  As mentioned before, one leg is missing, so I propped it on the chair.  I do have the ashpan, but didn't put it on for the pics (the third leg is missing anyway, so it wouldn't work).  In the last pic, you can see all of the 4 pretty good size chips in the lid.  Also, some rim rash.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:56:38 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Two of the 3 bottom vents are pretty bent.  I'm thinking about drilling them off, trying to pound them back into reasonable shape, & then riveting back on the bowl.  4

I'll wind up searching on here to see if others have done it (for any tips) & to see if anyone has found rivets similar to what Weber uses.  I think the ones I have are aluminum, but Weber's rivets seem to rust. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Hal