Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Redhead showing Brunette "roots?"  (Read 879 times)

MadUncleAndy

• Happy Cooker
New Redhead showing Brunette "roots?"
« on: March 18, 2019, 01:14:26 PM »
Hi folks,

I got one of the new red kettles a couple of weeks ago, and have cooked on it only twice so far.  I've notice bits of the lid around the vent are turning black.  I'm assuming that's soot/smoke and nothing to worry about, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks ahead,
Andy

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: New Redhead showing Brunette "roots?"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »
A pic would help us to give a definitive answer.  If the discoloration is uniform, it’s likely just caused by the “fat smoke” from grilling directly over coals.  These new red LE kettles have had quality issues though.  If that’s the case, Weber has the BEST customer service. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MadUncleAndy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »
I'll grab a photo and post it once I can figure out how. :)

I agree on their customer service!  I had a tiny chip on my WSM,  which might have been my fault for all I know... and I called them to ask them how to take care of it...they shipped me a whole new middle cooking section without asking a question.  This was way above and beyond the warranty coverage as I'd read it, as there was no rust, much less rust through...just a bit of bare metal.

I was expecting to hear "buy a can of high temperature paint and..."

But that's part of why I bought two more Weber products in 6 months...if I can trust a company, I'll stick with them.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
I'll grab a photo and post it once I can figure out how. :)

I agree on their customer service!  I had a tiny chip on my WSM,  which might have been my fault for all I know... and I called them to ask them how to take care of it...they shipped me a whole new middle cooking section without asking a question.  This was way above and beyond the warranty coverage as I'd read it, as there was no rust, much less rust through...just a bit of bare metal.

I was expecting to hear "buy a can of high temperature paint and..."

But that's part of why I bought two more Weber products in 6 months...if I can trust a company, I'll stick with them.

First, click on the first circled item in the first pic, then go look at the second pic & it should be self-evident.  Click on the "(more attachments)" right under where you attach/browse if you want more than 1 attachment
regards,
Hal

MadUncleAndy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »

First, click on the first circled item in the first pic, then go look at the second pic & it should be self-evident.  Click on the "(more attachments)" right under where you attach/browse if you want more than 1 attachment

D'oh!  It seems it's not there under quick reply.  Found it! :D   Now I just have to go and actually take the photo.  :P

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:20:08 PM »
No worries, it took me a while to notice it.  I've used the screen shots previously, too.
regards,
Hal

MadUncleAndy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
Okay, sorry for the delay in getting back with the pics, but here they are:

[attachment deleted by admin]

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
Did you try cleaning the "brunette" roots to see if it comes off with red underneath?
regards,
Hal

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 06:30:57 PM »
The LE was my first Weber. I enjoy it but it's not what I expected.
The porcelain chipped where the handle attaches, one piece popped off and flew up right beside my eye.
I took pics and contacted CS.
While I had that issue in a open warranty claim I advised them that the legs on this thing are wobbly af.
I can move it around like a piece of jello I even sent them a video.
They replaced the lid but told me at first that I installed the legs wrong. Well no the legs are installed correctly. Then they said well that's normal movement.
Well maybe that's normal movement if my kettle wants to dance like jello but the nearly new mastertouch I bought off CL for $60 is solid. Don't even need a spoon to stir anything when using it, just grab the front handle and give it a wiggle. I could probably flip food without using anything but the front handle.
I guess I'll try to slip some flashing inside the leg sockets to take up the play.
The thing nearly took out one of my eyes I don't need the legs and bowl buckling and burning my feet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:55:07 PM by pancho2017 »

MadUncleAndy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 06:28:54 AM »
Did you try cleaning the "brunette" roots to see if it comes off with red underneath?

I tried simple green, and no joy.  I didn't try anything more aggressive.  If it stays in/around the top vents, I don't really mind, as long as it's not a harbinger of other bad things happening down the line....like what Pancho describes above or the finish going all-over  blotchy.  :o

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 03:40:18 AM »

I tried simple green, and no joy.  I didn't try anything more aggressive.  If it stays in/around the top vents, I don't really mind, as long as it's not a harbinger of other bad things happening down the line....like what Pancho describes above or the finish going all-over  blotchy.  :o
Pick up some Rutland wood stove spray cleaner.  That soot will melt away like magic.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app