Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Firepit aka 26er umbrella?  (Read 702 times)

mahnamahna

• WKC Brave
Firepit aka 26er umbrella?
« on: March 10, 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
I’m cooking this brisket tonight, the rain can kiss my ass thanks to my kettle umbrella!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Firepit aka 26er umbrella?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »
Funny looking, but I'll have to keep that in mind.
regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 04:25:24 AM »
Clever, but my guess is it might be a PITA when removing the kettle lid...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 01:54:32 AM »
Good thing about a kettle as opposed to a wsm is they do just fine in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 04:09:35 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I agree, I just make a cocktail that has one of those cute little umbrellas in it so my drink doesn't get watered down, the kettle can handle it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:34:40 AM »

Yup, they do. Reason is, IMHO, the kettle lid has the overlapping lip to the body, so no water gets down inside. The WSM is just the opposite, The lid sets inside the lip of the body, letting water seep in. Just my opinion.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »

Yup, they do. Reason is, IMHO, the kettle lid has the overlapping lip to the body, so no water gets down inside. The WSM is just the opposite, The lid sets inside the lip of the body, letting water seep in. Just my opinion.
as I understand it, the WSM is designed that way on purpose.  It’s designed as a water smoker.  If the lid overlapped the body, you could have smoke laden condensation dripping down the body. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »

as I understand it, the WSM is designed that way on purpose.  It’s designed as a water smoker.  If the lid overlapped the body, you could have smoke laden condensation dripping down the body. 

I don't know the science or thinking behind the design of the WSM. What you say makes sense. All I know is, I NEVER use water when smoking in ANY of my smokers. My 18" WSMs never see an ounce of water, not even in the water pan. The water pan is used as a heat baffle, filled with wadded up aluminum foil, then covered with a sheet of aluminum foil, installed with a slight dish to catch the drips. Been doing it like that for years with grate results, never any issues, and no messy cleanup. Water + fire = steam. Nope, not 4 me...