Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Charcoal Grill  (Read 2300 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Charcoal Grill
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
I’ve bought 2 brand new kettles at full retail and don’t regret either. There’s nothing wrong buying new. I buy used if it’s vintage or I need a spare but if I had no kettle at all, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new original kettle or original kettle premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Agreed.  Nothing wrong with a good find on a used kettle.....but there is no shame in buying a new one.  My  Performer was bought retail/new and is 16+ yrs old.  My OKP was bought retail/new and is already 3+.  They are worth the money.....and compared to a lot of grills out there, a kettle is pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
I’m just replying so I can say hello Big Dick Nick... Jesus, that was a good laugh..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
I’ve bought 2 brand new kettles at full retail and don’t regret either. There’s nothing wrong buying new. I buy used if it’s vintage or I need a spare but if I had no kettle at all, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new original kettle or original kettle premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

All my current 22's I bought new. My 18's, I bought used. Luv them all. I'm gonna say, I have enough in my arsenal, I am done collecting. PLUS, I have no more room!  :'(
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
There's always more room!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
I agree with others - you don't need the vortex or SnS for now. Plenty of different things you can do with just the kettle - direct cooks, indirect cooks... snake, minion.. etc. Get a good thermometer.. I like the thermoworks smoke myself - you can monitor pit and meat temps. I still haven't found the need for the vortex or SnS.. maybe I will down the road.

Buy new or used - that's up to you. Lots of great deals out there on craigslist/fb/offerup/letgo.

One thing is for sure - DO get a chimney starter. Stay away from lighter fluid. That is rule number one!

Good luck and let us know what you get!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 02:23:36 AM »
There's always more room!

Not at my house...  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 01:00:38 PM »
First off, terribly sorry that I am so slow to reply to your question.

Secondly, welcome to the world of Charcoal / Wood barbecue and grilling!

My advice for anyone new to charcoal / wood barbecue and grilling is as follows.

#!. There is a difference between grilling and Barbecueing. Grilling is direct heat, coals directly under the items being cooked, and at higher temps. Barbecue is offset / indirect heat and typically at lower temps.
#2. Teperature I have found is best measured in the grill, about 1" or so off the grate surface.
#3. If you are willing to drill a hole, buy a more basic model Weber, and mount your own through lid thermometer. I've done it and the results are awesome.
#4. I agree with the comments about made for BBQ tongs and spatulas being for the most part junk.  OXO Good Cook makes some really nice long stainless tongs, get a set, your knuckles will love you for it! IF you can fine one, the Pampered Chef BBQ Spatula is the absolute best I have found, anywhere. And I have been through a lot of spatulas.
#5. Don't worry about spotless grates. It's possible, but you will make everything around your cleaning area horrible, and knock your brains out in the process. Get the grate good and hot, and scrub it with a bristle free coil type brush https://amzn.to/2TtezNi.  The older style bristle brushes can lose a bristle that potentially could find its way into your food. No thank you!
#6. On the former subject, periodically use a grill cleaner to knock the built up soot etc... out of the grill. They make "brushes" that are basically scotch brite pads on a stick, and citrus based cleaners. Follow the cleaners directions and scrub as needed with the scotch brite gizmo.
#7. Slow and sear is really nice, and totally unneccessary. Many of us simply use the offset method. Or better yet, go over the Weber website to review fire configurations for their grills. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grill-skills/mastering-charcoal/charcoal/fire-configurations/weber-34138.html. The SNS does kind of what the indirect / charcoal basket and foil pan thing does. However the foil pan way also acts as a catch pan, and keeps your grill cleaner in the long run!
#8. This should probably have been #1. But if you are even vaguely considering using lighter fluid. STOP! Get a charcoal chimney. https://amzn.to/2TqJQQE. NO matter how long you let lighter fluid burn off, the taste ALWAYS gets in your food. Nasty!
#9. Depending on where you live, you don't have to buy a Weber new. And it depends on the model. The "Weber 22 Original Kettle" for example seems to be going for about $109.99 online (Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon etc...) but my local HEB grocery store has them discounted for $89.99. My wife would kill me if I brought home another one!). The Walmart Exclusive Jumbo Joe Premium 22" is $79.99. My ikd 3 wheeler I got off of Craigslist last summer with coal dividers, a condiment tray, and an accessory hook for I think $60.00. I occasionally see Original one touch style 22's on CL going for around $50.00 with no accessories in primo shape.
#10. No need to get high dollar or fancy beyond belief with this stuff. Start with the basics, Grill, starter chimney, lighter, charcoal, metal tongs, and metal spatula and grow from there. I used the cheap dollar store BBQ tongs / spatual sets for a very long time before I was gifted my Pampered Chef BBQ set, no need to be in a hurry...
#11. Not all charcoal is the same. Experiment to see what you like the best. I am personally REALLY liking the Expert Grill briquets from Walmart. They are low dollar but seem to me, possibly incorrectly, but they look like, and seem to cook just like Royal Oak, and it's CHEAP. Kingsford Blue Bag is my second go to. It is commonly available pretty much anywhere.
#12. Want to add some smoke flavor? I've tried chips, hardwood impregnated charcoal, and chunks. I get my best results with chunks, and if I need say some chunks of Pecan to smoke with, check with the neighbors to see if they have trimmed their trees recently...
#13. Get and maintain a good thermometer. I have a remote WiFi thermometer from ProGrill I would NOT recommend, connectivity on that one is wonky at best. I have a Weber Instant read that works flawlessly...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.