Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fabrication ideas for raising the cooking grate  (Read 1855 times)

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
Fabrication ideas for raising the cooking grate
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
I'm not into the spinning grates that raise because they tend raise lopsided, I prefer something that allows me to close the lid unlike the brackets that fasten to the bowl. I also don't see the need for a smoker attachment because I don't need it that high. My belief is the height of the cooking grate has been the achilles heel of the kettle design and my simple idea should take care of the problem easily and efficiently. The trouble is it needs to be built! It could possibly do Santa Maria Style cooks and be used as a smoker where a deflector could be set below it. It would also allow more space by being used as an extra tier to double the cooking space, similar to kamado style cooking. Here is an example of what it would look like and maybe someone has a better idea to improve it or possible help with a CAD drawing to take to a welding shop. I look forward to your ideas. :D

(Moderator please feel free to move this, it should have gone in the "Mods" thread.)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:13:25 PM by Bodhi »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Fabrication ideas for raising the cooking grate
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
I picked up a chief & the previous owner had wanted to raise the grate a bit higher to the level of the current grate.  He basically used that expanded metal stuff (looks like wire lathe) and made a circle several layers thick (for strength).  He used a nut, bolt & washer or two to keep it together & made the height such that it rests the grate straps and then the grate winds up on top of it.  It is not as pretty as what you did, but it is cheap & easy. 

The same idea allows you to use a new 26" grate on the old 26" with the slightly smaller diameter grates. 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »
The grate on your photo will  not have enough clearance for the lid.   Even if it does have enough clearance, the food will be too close to the lid. 

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:46 PM »
The grate on your photo will  not have enough clearance for the lid.   Even if it does have enough clearance, the food will be too close to the lid.
it was just an example. The one pictured is for a WSM. The one I would make would put the grate at about rim level, then the food would have plenty of room.

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 02:30:26 AM »
I’m not following the question or intent. Do you want more room between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate?  Just for smoking or for all general use?

Why is the current height the “Achilles heel”

I’m just curious. I’m not being critical.

Personally, I don’t get that product. I don’t want my kettle to cook like a kamado. If I had a kamado, I would prefer it cooked like a kettle. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:41:29 AM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:58:34 AM »
Not sure of the reason or intent here. I've been cooking on kettles and WSM's for years... they work fine as is... 'splain Lucy...?
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 06:20:29 AM »
I'm wondering why raising the grate that extra inch or so just to get it to rim level would be such a big deal.

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »
@hawgheaven @HoosierKettle @Darko

Sure, I grill direct more than anything and like to cook direct for most if not all of the cook, so keeping the meat a little further from the fire makes a big difference, otherwise it chars too much too quickly. I have owned Santa Maria grills and they are awesome, but I have found all of the raising and lowering isn't necessary for regular cooks. On the kettle if the charcoal is laid low and flat enough it will give the same result with the lid aiding as a baffle and adding a better layer of smoke than an open pit offers. The lid also allows shutdown rather than wasting so much fuel. The extra space is just enough to handle the flare-ups, yet allowing the fat to drip slowly and get a good even cook. I have experimented and practiced with this technique on a 26 and 22 in the past using expanded metal to raise the grate, with great results. Here it is on a WSM, it will work the same on a kettle using less charcoal.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
I get it now. Yes I too like cooking at a height directly over the coals. It is an awesome method. I use my wsm for that purpose. Without it, I would lean heavily towards a stacker for the kettle. I don’t think an inch or two is enough added distance but it probably would help a little.

I would like to acquire some variety of stacker like a Cajun bandit or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:49:02 PM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
Okay, I sea yer point. I'm sure it's working for ya', good luck with it!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
I prefer my cooking grate very high also since most of my cooks are direct or semi-direct.   My solution is to use a stacker.  Rarely use a kettle without a stacker even when using a vortex.   The raised grate on the stacker prevents flare ups from reaching the cooking grate even at very high temperatures.

Charcoal grate is 9" to the lower cooking grate and 14 1/2" to the top grate. Stacker  lip is snug and very airtight so once the dampers are closed, the leftover coals are quickly snuff out. 

Grates are 5 1/2" apart so lower grate is still easily accessible by using a long tongs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:47:19 AM by Jules V. »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
@hawgheaven @HoosierKettle @Darko

Sure, I grill direct more than anything and like to cook direct for most if not all of the cook, so keeping the meat a little further from the fire makes a big difference, otherwise it chars too much too quickly. I have owned Santa Maria grills and they are awesome, but I have found all of the raising and lowering isn't necessary for regular cooks. On the kettle if the charcoal is laid low and flat enough it will give the same result with the lid aiding as a baffle and adding a better layer of smoke than an open pit offers. The lid also allows shutdown rather than wasting so much fuel. The extra space is just enough to handle the flare-ups, yet allowing the fat to drip slowly and get a good even cook. I have experimented and practiced with this technique on a 26 and 22 in the past using expanded metal to raise the grate, with great results. Here it is on a WSM, it will work the same on a kettle using less charcoal.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html
OK I see where your're coming from. Thanks for explaining.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
That's a very interesting product, @Bodhi.  On my 26er, I added a "second story" using a 22.5 WSM grate with some carriage bolts.  It doesn't spin like yours and it needs to sit on the main grate.  I've got a Cajun Bandit Roti, so I guess on my setup, I would add some "L" brackets and end up with something like @Jules V. stacker.

Plus, and more importantly, I don't have you mad fabricating skills ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna