Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Haters?  (Read 2564 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Taco Haters?
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
Not sure what the rub is with the "taco", butt the sumbitch does what it's supposed to do. It shields the heat from the lid handle. It works!! Yes, our beloved older models don't have that... I guess no one thought of it back then.

I don't find it offending or unattractive. I find it very useful. My hands are very grate-full for this invention. Just sayin'...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Re: Taco Haters?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »
I don't have any experience with the Taco handle so I don't have anything good or bad to say about it. Weber chose to make the design change to improve their product and they sell lots of them.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:04:42 PM »
My eyes doesn't necessarily like tacos but my fingers and wooden handles does.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »
It's in how it strikes you. I can live with it. The kettle is still the best cooker. I don't hate the taco, I just prefer the looks without. And I also prefer the Handle inline with the vent, not crosswise to it.  If you tried all arrangements of lid vent, thermometer, and handle Weber has used you might have a favorite. Mine is the older inline handle and no thermometer, with a hook. I like the earlier lid bale coupled with a lid that has a hook. I don't do high heat cooks so the tacos function isn't a big deal for me. If Weber was so concerned with burns why aren't all lids supplied with the vent handle. Don't know about the WSM but the Smokey Joe bottom vent could use one.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:38:46 PM »
Not sure what the rub is with the "taco", butt the sumbitch does what it's supposed to do. It shields the heat from the lid handle. It works!! Yes, our beloved older models don't have that... I guess no one thought of it back then.

I don't find it offending or unattractive. I find it very useful. My hands are very grate-full for this invention. Just sayin'...

I think it was 2010??  26er taco welded handle I am thinking about... and I think it had a clip on or off taco shell. Not 100% sure.  Now that would have been sweet handle setup instead of current bolted taco handle. Even the purest /traditionalist taco haters like Hoss ( where is he? ), kettlebb and others would have been happy.

Btw, I am officially Taco SJ hater. I am ok with 22" and 18" but Bolt on taco 26" is another story.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »

I think it was 2010??  26er taco welded handle I am thinking about... and I think it had a clip on or off taco shell. Not 100% sure.

I had two newer 26's.

My 26 that had the clip on taco was from 2008/2009.

I preferred the newer style to the "clip in" taco. Super sturdy, never any issues. Most of all, no hot handle.

Ugly? Maybe, but they work well.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
I have a 2018 26 with the taco.  I don’t mind the handle itself, but the bolts to hold the handle are not befitting a $300 grill nor sturdy enough to confidently lift a 20 pound lid.  See picture.   I replaced them with better hardware.   A welded handle is sturdier imho.  Judging by the amazon reviews, I’m not the only one.  I don’t know why Weber doesn’t address that.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XRichard23

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »

How the heck do I bend the straps like this? Brute force?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Own: 22" Blue Platinum, Blue Performer 3rd Gen, 22" Blue MT, 22" Blue OTG, 26” Black OTG; 18" WSM
ISO: Blue 18”

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:34:53 PM »
I have a 2018 26 with the taco.  I don’t mind the handle itself, but the bolts to hold the handle are not befitting a $300 grill nor sturdy enough to confidently lift a 20 pound lid.  See picture.   I replaced them with better hardware.   A welded handle is sturdier imho.  Judging by the amazon reviews, I’m not the only one.  I don’t know why Weber doesn’t address that.   

Yep! this is the story I was thinking about for the 26er.  26" lid is double the weight of the 22" lid. Using that stamped nuts to hold the weight of the lid  can't be good.  They barely hold 22" lids. These fake nuts are commonly used in industry like a  retainer clips or like a axle retainer caps used on our weber wheels.   http://fastening.araymond-industrial.com/catalog/stamped-nuts-f29-o4016.htm 

I would personally replace these stamped nuts to real ss nuts asap. My setup would be.....a large ss washer plus double ss nuts.  http://www.boltscience.com/pages/the-use-of-two-nuts-to-prevent-self-loosening.pdf

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:54:48 PM by greenweb »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
3" ss plate and 1 1/4" fender washer.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 05:22:32 PM »

How the heck do I bend the straps like this? Brute force?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Vise and hammer. Remove the strap and use a flexible tape to wrap the strap  so it will not scratch. Straighten strap and then bend it to shape. Drill holes, cut the excess to desired length. Round off the edges.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
I only like it on 18s. Makes sj's and ga's look weird

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:53:43 AM »
My problem with it is the curved handle. I wouldn’t mind a taco GA though, those little bastards get hot in a hurry.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 05:02:55 AM »
My first 26 was a taco w/ those cheesy nuts, which had already caused some enamel chipping by the time I bought it from the original owner. I moved it along eventually.

Because of this thread I went out to check my 2 current "modern" 26s, and found that despite both being DEs, one has the old white-wall wheels (my preference) and the snap-in heat shield and white handle, while the other has a reg. welded handle (gray), no shield, and the newer wheels. Neither was bought new by me, but I assumed they were stock.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers