Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I may need a two rivet handle  (Read 5936 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
I may need a two rivet handle
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
I will let you know in a little bit, Brian.

:-X

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: I may need a two rivet handle
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

Sitting in pieces in my car right now.  Guy insisted on calling it a 'weber type'.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »
Looks to be the same vintage as the red I picked up last weekend.  '71-'75
My question is - all black wheels were the norm?  I was wondering if mine just faded or got scrubbed off.

Nice score on the greenie.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
Great score....whats the story behind the score?

THose look like old school metal wheels which could make it late 60s. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
I may need a two rivet handle
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »
Nice!!!! 8)  Can't wait to see more. Do I spy thumbscrews on this one?

@Bman: The early plastic wheels are prone to losing their whitewalls from fading. The metal whitewalls just orange from rust.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
Some details that make me say it is 68 to 70:

No thumbscrews.

WEBER STEPHEN PRODUCTS CO
WEBER BAR B Q KETTLE
PAT PENDING
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL

Small Vent tabs on the top and all bottom vents.

The wheels are BOTH whitewall originals with straight rubber tread.  There was a 'repair' done at some point, and one of the wheels was put back on with the whitewall on the inside (which is why the wheel is all black in the picture.  The current "hubcaps" are 30 year old finishing nails....

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:58:12 PM by G$ »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
A boring story:

At 9:55 AM, I clicked over to my craigslist weber search page and saw an add for a "weber type grill" ($30).

I opened the advertisement, saw a non black rolled handle grill, and dialed the number at 9:56  (This is how I know the timeline, my call history on my phone).  I told the guy he was on the other side of town from me, but give me the address and I will plug it in to the phone and go, and to expect me within 45 minutes.  At 9:57 I was on the road for the 32 mile trek.  (64 miles round trip.......)

I got there alittle after 10:30 due to a route primarily on the Interstate and an anxious driver.   

So a man that I will place at 60 years old (plus or minus 5 years)  greeted me and showed me the weber style grill.  He said, "You are one of the charcoal people huh?". 

He proceeded to try and sell me on the grill saying it was hardly used and worked well.  He said it was probably used less than 50 times, and that personally had a newer kind for a while but with his you could move the charcoal grate up with handles(umm ok?).  Anyway, It turns out his father passed away this week, and he was just clearing out items.   Unfortunately, he did not know where his dad got it or when, but I got the impression the son had never seen it.

Ironically, it looked like he had one of those new STOK grills that we were talking about in the other thread, with the cast iron grates.  If I were smarter I would have tried to  grab that for a deal for the grate, but he wanted 75 for the Stok according to craiglsist.

In any case, the inside is in good shape, the charcoal grate is fine, I may or may not try to rescue the grill grate.  Based on the inside, you would say this grill was in fact "rarely used".

But.

There is always a but.  It is 45 years old at this point.  If the grill was used 50 times, the lid was dropped 49 times.  There are several LARGE chipped spots that have rusted.  What is worse, someone tried to paint over them with primer at some point and it has created a mess on the rust spots, as well as speckled drops of primer/paint all over the lid.   >:(   The handle has the typical rusting where it joins the lid and the paint has been long gone.  The bowl is in great shape. I do not think there are any chips on the bowl, just one dent that I do not mind at all.

In any case, I drove 32 miles (64 round trip) and I was not leaving empty handed, even if this was more "rough" than "diamond".  In my very tough nosed negotiating style, I said:  I am leaving with the grill regardless, but will you take $20?  He said $25 and I loaded it in my car.  I was back home, lighter by almost 4 gallons of gas and 25 dollars, and late for a meeting I was supposed to call in to at 11 AM.....

The rest of the story:

The first thing I did (after dialing in to the meeting I was late for) was to fire up WKC and post this thread.  I looked at my PMs and noticed a fellow WKCer had sent me an request to be his pick up agent for this grill.   Unfortunately, his PM was sent at 9:59:55. 

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »
Unfortunately, his PM was sent at 9:59:55. 

LMAO. Missed it by that much!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
Ugh.  This is a lot of lid chipping.

And a custom speckle finish.

And a bowl in terrific shape. Go figure.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
"You are one of the charcoal people huh?". 

We need a WTC bumper sticker: "I am one of the charcoal people."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

With a K

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
And I couldn't have been happier when he said no to being my agent.......cuz he had just picked it up for himself! And I know if he didn't want it, he woulda chased it for me. And he knows the same applies for him up here in my neck o' the woods. Cuz that's how us charcoal people roll!
It's all about the meat!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
Heck yeah Kris.

By the way, I am thinking of hitting Laughlin in SEP, or an outside shot at Holbrook in in JUL.   Haven't been out there since Scottsdale last May.

What is next for you?

With a K

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
Williams next W/E, then Holbrook next month. Haven't looked much further than that yet. Hope to see you at one sometime.
It's all about the meat!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
Bowl cleaned up, spotless. Lid is pretty smoke gunked with smoke and taking more time.

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »
G$, what are you using to remove the smoke gunk?  I used a combination of 0000 steel wool, greased lightning cleaner/degreaser and a big bucket of elbow grease to clean mine...
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM