Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A bit unexpected  (Read 1226 times)

usedjim

• Smokey Joe
A bit unexpected
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:46:59 AM »
Due to space constraints have been using a 22" WSM with added middle charcoal grate for most of my cooks.  Picked up a used Weber rotisserie recently and have been using that on the WSM as well.   Of course the WSM lid doesn't exactly fit the Weber Rotisserie. A Cajun Bandit roti is not in the budget, so have been looking for a cheap kettle to donate a lid for the rotisserie.   The other day a $20 kettle popped up on FB and it was only a few miles from work.  Pic was close up and blurry so really couldn't tell much other than it was a black 22.  I stopped on way home which turned out to be after 6:00.  With time change it was dark in his driveway.  Not the greatest neighborhood and for $20 wasn't going to spend a lot of time inspecting it.  I saw it had wood handles on lid and bowl, so told him I would take it, put it in the car and headed home.  Turns out to be an "F" code from 1984.  Twist on ash pan.  Lid has some rim rash and a decent sized scratch on the top opposite the vent but overall will be a pretty nice cooker.  I did an initial cleaning on the lid last night.  Will disassemble everything else and clean up over the winter.  Didn't exactly strike gold, but it was a fun pickup and certainly unexpected.  Funniest part is that the guy was trying to sell it as "like new" and told me he only used it twice.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A bit unexpected
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »
A very nice unexpected score
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 06:57:54 AM »

With that sales line, maybe he is a used car salesman.  The lid does look in great shape though.  Congratulations.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
Modding your WSM, scoring a used roti, and now buying cheap parts kettles, definitely early symptoms of Weberitis.  [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
Modding your WSM, scoring a used roti, and now buying cheap parts kettles, definitely early symptoms of Weberitis.  [emoji106]

Lol Charlie, I believe you’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:26:04 AM »
"Expect the unexpected when most unexpected"
I heard that in a Brownie in Amsterdam once at a poets reading 25 plus years ago.
It has stuck with me since. Enjoy the GOOD unexpected as there is to much of the other sometimes.
Grate score brother Congrats!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:46 PM »

Oh yeah very much so.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:49:32 AM »
They always start the Ad with "Only used a couple of times"... 

When you dare the "hood" and while seekin the "Grail".  That is a sure fire sign of the dreaded "Weberitis"... 

It all starts with ONE... Just one.... and then.... BAM.....

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 04:55:26 AM »
Yep. Then fast forward and then you start Indefinitely lending or giving Webers to friends and family to make room for more desirable ones while still keeping tabs on your old ones lol. I just gave one to a coworker Saturday and might donate another one to keep at the shop.

Very nice looking grill by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
Yep. Then fast forward and then you start Indefinitely lending or giving Webers to friends and family to make room for more desirable ones while still keeping tabs on your old ones lol. I just gave one to a coworker Saturday and might donate another one to keep at the shop.

Very nice looking grill by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Same here. Gave 4 pcs away to friends in the last 3 months just to get some space for new arrivals[emoji23]