Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Gourmet  (Read 1379 times)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
The Gourmet
« on: October 27, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »
I have to give a "BIIIIIIGGGGG THANKS" to Brandon/ @GrillGiant  for letting me know about this.
If it wasn't for him this one may have slipped the radar. Your the Man brother.
So this Wed-Friday I had scheduled myself to get all my firewood stacked for the winter. It's the only thing I use for heat in a 1940s Parlor stove. Sove is burning as I write.

So on  Wednesday around Noon I get a text asking if I'm near a town on Long Island. He sends me a picture and I don't believe what I see, especially on Long Island. My inlaws were 3.1 miles away but I wasn't risking this one in any way. It was a 1 day estate sale, my first ever. So for the next day and a half I busted ass finishing up stacking 5 cords of wood.
So on Friday at 5 AM I'm on the road to Long Island. Woman told me numbers would be given out at 9 and sale starts at 10. Having coffee and bagels with the inlaws at 7:45 I text her to let her know I'm on LI and didn't want to sit in front of the house. She gets back and says there's already people there and numbers are being given out. WTF  >:(. I drink my coffee and leave with 1/2 a bagel in my mouth. 5 minutes later I get there to find a few people. I get number 19! Double WTF >:( >:(. I text her and explain again I just drove 150 miles. She says we will talk when she gets there at 9. Upon her arrival all the people flock to her and I realize that 1/2 the people know her as well as each other. I let the crowd disperse and then approach her.
She asked what number I got and told her. She said, No problem, I'll let in up to 20 on the first group.
She didn't thin anyone was there for it anyway. Cool, I feel a little better. Well at 9:55 the door opens and she lets in the first 16 people and the door shuts. My heart is racing, like going up that initial incline on a roller coaster. :) At 10 I get a text I'm saving the grill for you. What! 10:15 comes and I'm in. I know it's in the garage but can't find how to get there. I ask her and she says to give her a few minutes. Well 15 minutes later she says out loud, "I'm opening the garage". I'm the first one there when the door opens and there she is with a SOLD tag on it. I inspect, come to an agreement, pay, and she rides shotgun for the ride home. What an experience! I thought trying to secure a grill online was an adrenaline rush. WOW!
So again Brandon, any written form of appreciation would be a feeble attempt to show you my gratitude so I will just say THANK YOU!

Picture from the ad

Shotgun for the bowl wrapped in a moving blanket. Blanket for the lid in the jump area of cab

Rivets inside bowl are like new

5 minutes with 0000

In need of one of these wheels as the tread came of the center like that of a steel wheel. Never saw this before.

Cellar2ful

Re: The Gourmet
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »

Nice score Colin. She's a beauty.  I have yet to attend an estate sale where someone in front of me has grabbed or even shown interest in a vintage Weber.  Earlier this year I picked up a yellow 22" at a "every things free" clearance after a two day weekend estate sale.  BTW, if you don't get another wheel the broken tread can be repaired with black silicone.  I've gotten to where the repair is almost unnoticeable.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
What a beautiful yellow. Congrats man and thanks for sharing your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »
Beautiful Yellow brother! I’ll PM you my address for shipping [emoji13]

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Great story and she is a beauty!!! Congrats

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »
Wow congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »
Great rescue/score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »
Great story and securement!

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 07:56:10 AM »
It rained all day yesterday and my better half actually suggested I work on the new addition.
She let me use the kitchen sink. I cleaned up of course. LOL Still cloudy but these will shine in the sunlight.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »
You’re most welcome Brother! Enjoy her!! @catskillsmoker

Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
Beautiful! Nice clean up.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »
Very nice addition!  I would have hated that wait.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 02:15:49 AM »
Congrats.  That's a beauty.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »
That is a beauty!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
That was a good story, Colin.  Congrats on that beautiful yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club