Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas Suggestions  (Read 4230 times)

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Re: Christmas Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 09:09:28 AM »
If you have the GBS a 12" lodge pan with the double loop handles will fit perfectly and save you a few bucks.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 06:12:24 AM »
Javelin Pro instant read thermometer

Thermoworks Smoke

I'm not a fan of the GBS grate as I find it a PITA to hang and handle without the center piece falling out.  Prefer regular flip up grates or if you were going to splurge killa grilla grate.

Good tongs.

Welder's gloves.

Kingsford charcoal caddy.

At first I wasn't sold on the Slow n Sear but I'm using it more and more.   I'd buy any of the things above before a slow n sear but I do think it's a nice (though not necessary) accessory.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 12:36:20 PM »
Ditto to most of the above. I adore my SnS I rarely take it out of my 22.  A quality Thermo is a must. I'll agree with the Capt. on the GBS Grate. More trouble, than beneficial, and most of the accessories that work with it are spendy although my carbon steel wok fits perfectly in the center.

Get a 12 inch Lodge CI skillet and a few Prime Ribeyes!!

-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
In no particular order:

A small hand-held whisk broom for ash cleanup
At least two (make that three) tongs - one is never enough. Used for all kinds of things from charcoal placement to I really like Weber's current model with the looped metal hanging ring.
Ditto on the Thermapen.
A patio umbrella and heavy stand. I have a $20 black one I found on clearance a year ago and it's held up nicely. I found a stand at a yard sale for $5.
Get another set of baskets to make a bigger better one.
A few aluminum baking sheets for food transport and prep. I have several sizes. I like Nordicware "naturals" - made in USA. Get a "cooling" rack that fits one to use for drying out meat in the fridge.
An 8 to 12Qt tub with lid for brining.
I do like using the GBS grate - usually without the center section and a ring from a WSM in the center for high heat wings and searing with the CI insert.
A bunch of drip trays to use under the grate.
Starter cubes.
One of those Kingsford charcoal caddies. (I never thought I would like it as much as I do)
Both sizes of Weber chimney. I can get you a small one if you can't find it. Not sure they are still being made.
Smoke wood chunks (not chips): apple, hickory, pecan would be my first three.
A nice loud timer - I have the Big 'N Loud from Thermoworks and it's great.

Most of the above (aside from the Thermapen)  is relatively inexpensive - You could bundle quite a useful basket of fun stuff for <$100
Retired

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
I love my GBS grate. It’s my go-to grate. The removable center isn’t a PITA if you’re careful. I just lean it against against my grilling station while my chimney gets hot. I do a lot of chicken and I frequently have the coals in a basket higher than the grate level. Also, the GBS comes in handy when doing caveman steaks down below and having baked potatoes cooking around the ring above.

Besides that, I went to the dollar store and bought a shaker, like the one you’d find at an old style pizza place holding the red pepper flakes. I use it all the time to mix my rubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
The barbeque dragon side table is nice, $29 at Amazon.
https://bbqdragon.com/product/dragon-wing-kettle-grill-shelf/

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »
Get the rotisserie for fun, the SNS for versatility and the GBS if you want to use a vortex and use the other parts that go with it.  Also, if you don't have good tongs, get them.  Now.  I also love my kettle pizza setup, but it's more than $100.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
The pizza stone is a great addition if you like baking. The griddle will make amazing burgers. Once I tried cooking burgers on a griddle, I won't go back to cooking them any other way. I haven't tried the wok but that's my next purchase. Keep us posted on what you get and how you like it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 06:19:36 AM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I've been looking for a side table.  Weber used to make them and sell them but I don't think they're available anymore...at least not in the US.  That BBQ Dragon table looks nice, especially for $30.  It's hard to grill when you have nowhere to set something down!  Lot's of great suggestions from all.  Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »
@nvandyke , I used to think the performer table was going to be useless.  Once I cooked on it and saw how critical that table is, I use performers for everything nowadays.

LowandSlow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
Another kettle in a different color to sit next to it. Nice to look at and  nice to start another chimney of coals on.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »
I swear by my Grill Grates, I use them most all the time.  +1 on a Thermapen, I use mine for every cook. And looking at your pic, I’d suggest an upgrade in sauce [emoji41] </shameless plug>

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Lol Rub this made me laugh pretty good as i love shameless plugs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
As for accessories, a good side table. Or just a work station. I cant stand not having a spot to put stuff down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »
Maybe some Grillin' shoes so your feet don't get burned LOL +1 on a Thermapen

Yeah I learned the hard way on that one.  I always stood back a little bit when i dumped my lit coals into the grill, but i had a hot one bounce on the pavement and land on my foot.  Shoes from then on...unless I'm just going out to get a quick look at my thermometer or something.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
Vortex. I use mine all/most of the thyme.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.