Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber probe port  (Read 1460 times)

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
Weber probe port
« on: September 29, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
Ok, I don't want to appear stupid, but I'm not sure exactly how one uses the probe port. Ie, at what point does one insert the leads. I assume before lighting the grill or smoker, is that correct?

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber probe port
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:58:45 AM »
Or when you go to put the meat on, its not gonna be too hot in there for you to run your probes. If your running a grate temp probe you could do it before you light your coals, that way you know where your smoker is at before you slap your meat on. Maybe some others will chime in about how they do it, in a noob myself.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »
Part of it depends on where your probe port is situated relative to where your coals are and where your grate sits.  I don't have a smoker - I use a 22" kettle.  My port is located between where the grill grate sits and the bowl lip.  If your port is located below where the grill grate sits (i.e. closer to the coals), it'd likely be easier to run those probes through the port first and then get your coals going, grate set, etc. Because of where my port is located, I've had good success at running the grill temp probe through and onto the grate immediately after I get my coals lit and grate set - this allows me, as Walchit noted, to monitor my grill temp before I place the meat on the grate for the cook. Hope this helps!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
On my smoker I put the grate probe in place and the meat probe inside the grill and just laying on the grate right after I dump the starter coals in the charcoal basket and put the center section in place (WSM). Could probably push the probes through the grommet before I put the center section in place and save myself a face full of smoke, but to date I haven't. For the kettle the grate temp probe goes in right after I put the starters in and put the grate in place, the meat probe goes in when I put the meat on. I use welders gloves to put the meat probe in place when the time comes for it. No grommet on the kettle, I cut a slot for them,
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:24:39 PM by padlin00 »