Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: low and slow on an outrider?  (Read 1364 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
low and slow on an outrider?
« on: October 03, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »
Thanks to @CatskillSmoker I was able to grab an 18" outrider earlier today.  Seems that someone swapped out the correct cook grate for that from an 18" kettle so its a bit wobbly.  I'm hoping to bring this thing with me camping in 2 days so dont have time to order a proper grate.  I think I can modify the grate to work temporarily right now and have an idea using some large washers that should work.

Assuming it does work, I need to figure out how I'm going to attempt to do a low and slow pork shoulder on this while away from home.  I've never used a kettle that doesnt have the traditional lower bowl vents and I'm not quite sure how to set up on this outrider with the side vents. 

Anybody have any advice?  Should I try a snake (which in theory would have to be replenished every few hours based on the size I could get) or should I use a basket and minion method? 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
Re: low and slow on an outrider?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »
   Don't know what accessories you have but the Cajun Bandit stacker and charcoal ring with pie pan gives you one badass WSM clone. Minion method and adjust the vents to your desired temp and you're set.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »
   Don't know what accessories you have but the Cajun Bandit stacker and charcoal ring with pie pan gives you one badass WSM clone. Minion method and adjust the vents to your desired temp and you're set.

dont have a stacker; and for the immediate purpose I need to conserve space as I'm travelling.  So if I go minion method, should I have coals near an open side vent? opposite an open vent and near a closed vent?  in between the two?
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
   With no charcoal ring the minion method is out of the picture, unless you can make one up. Snake is definitely doable I just don't like coals up against the walls. Slow and sear charcoal basket would be my number 2 move, it holds way more charcoal than the standard weber basket.

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »
I've used the snake method on my outrider for a rib cook and thought it worked great.  Wish I had pics. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »
I found a couple of pictures of the snake i made in my outrider. I used Weber coals 2x1 snake with hickory. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
I found a couple of pictures of the snake i made in my outrider. I used Weber coals 2x1 snake with hickory. Works great.

I'll try pics again

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 06:53:03 AM »
I do have a slow n sear but not one small enough for this.  I might end up trying the snake but I guess it'll depend on how big of a pork we end up getting! 

I played around with some options for holding the wrong cook grate a bit better.  The "S hook" from my pizza kettle seems like it would work well if I had at least 2 if not 3 in total.  Tried some options of other S hooks, but everything got in the way of the lid. 

In the end I think this will work though.  I wrapped some aluminum foil around the grate I have currently and it seems to fit pretty well!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:55:31 AM by lksdrinker »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:31 AM »
I do have a slow n sear but not one small enough for this.  I might end up trying the snake but I guess it'll depend on how big of a pork we end up getting! 

I played around with some options for holding the wrong cook grate a bit better.  The "S hook" from my pizza kettle seems like it would work well if I had at least 2 if not 3 in total.  Tried some options of other S hooks, but everything got in the way of the lid. 

In the end I think this will work though.  I wrapped some aluminum foil around the grate I have currently and it seems to fit pretty well!

Nice workaround
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »

Nice workaround

I often have to slow myself down and remember to KISS (keep it simple stupid!)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »

I have done low and slow on my Outrider.... Or, was it hot and fast ??

Whatever it was, it's a great little cooker.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/the-18'-outrider-is-a-great-cooker/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »

I have done low and slow on my Outrider.... Or, was it hot and fast ??

Whatever it was, it's a great little cooker.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/the-18'-outrider-is-a-great-cooker/

good to hear!  glad I got to read through your older writeup on this !