Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib o lator  (Read 1696 times)

Rondo

• WKC Brave
Rib o lator
« on: September 09, 2018, 07:02:34 AM »
I am thinking about getting the rotisserie. Heard great things about it. Was wondering if anyone had the rib o lator as well. Looks like a good option.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rib o lator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
I don’t have one.  Looks nice but cleaning it looks like it would be a challenge maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
I don’t have one.  Looks nice but cleaning it looks like it would be a challenge maybe.

Saw couple made of SS. It's ok for dishwasher however you indeed will never get them really clean.

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
I didn't think about the cleaning. That could be a deal breaker but looks like a great way to cook a lot of food.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
IKEA is the cheapest and IMHO best solution...SS lid holder for less than $10.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 08:09:22 AM »
Made approx. 24 lbs ribs at once on my 26 using 2 of them[emoji23]

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
BTW, all the gadgets for the roti are good for one time use... I bought 2 different Weber baskets and kebob skewers, and during the last 2 years since I bought it I used it literally one time...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
i know a lot of people who love their rib-o-lators.

I hated mine.
It's a pain to clean. The trays have a ton of little gaps and places for things to food particles to stick and burn and become difficult...
Edges aren't sharp enough to cut your fingers off, but they're sharp enough to eat sponges.
It's a pain to set up and get perfect. AND YOU HAVE TO GET IT PERFECT

If it's not perfect, you'll have a catastrophic failure of trays and food tumbling into the coals while you're napping on the couch.

I thought mine was faulty so I exchanged for a new one. New one was the same ferris-wheel-of-food-failure.
I thought maybe it's me and I gave the thing to @jamesnomore because he's handy. Last I heard he had the same issues as I had and he wanted to give it back to me.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
+1

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
I like that Troy. Ferris wheel of food failure.

I need to buy that IKEA setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
Basic rule of all chefs: keep it simple! That's to finish the topic...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »
I’m one of those that love the ROL!
But I’ll be totally honest the first time I saw it was at an Unsanctioned competition and I really thought it was a gimmick! Bob Garnash was using them on gas grills. But at the end of the day ROL won First Place in Ribs to my Second Place and Bob gave me one to demo on a Weber rotisserie ring. I was bummed when I realized it was too large for the ring. Bob took a set of trays and shortened them to fit and the rest is history, but at the time he wasn’t convinced there was a market for them on Kettles! Bob still has his day job though!
Here’s a video of the original trays in action on my old Cajun Bandit conversion and Weber ring

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aULTIgBof0E

I used it in competition for a few years with chicken and did very well with it. Its not for everyone, but I'm a gadget queer and love spinning meats on my PK, Drums, WSM and kettles.

As far as cleaning goes, I spray all the surfaces with PAM before cooking, and have a deep stainless steel steam table pan that I use to soak the trays and cross bars in with a couple spoonfulls of Oxi-Clean powder. Let soak overnight and hose clean. The look like new again.

Ive only had 2 or 3 incidents where the meat wasn't balanced in the trays, but I always have a grate below the ROL and it was good to go.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:55:57 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 03:30:25 AM »
The good - Makes a great fb post that gets lots of likes.

The bad - The cleaning.  Also, doesn't make food taste any better. 

RiverCity BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
I love mine. While it is a pain to clean, definitely worth it. It's a meat Ferris Wheel...