Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Go Anywhere Grates  (Read 989 times)

AZogas

• WKC Brave
Go Anywhere Grates
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »
I'm looking to replace the rusty grates on my old  CGA.  Any recommendations on aftermarket grates vs weber replacement grates?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Re: Go Anywhere Grates
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »
I like the Craycort cast iron grates, plus they’ve currently got a sale on the griddles. I picked up. 2 a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »
I'm looking to replace the rusty grates on my old  CGA.  Any recommendations on aftermarket grates vs weber replacement grates?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Broilmann has a 304 SS GA grate for 20$  on Amazon.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:27:58 AM »
Does anyone already own this SS grate and if so how is it holding up?  Based on my experience steel grates will take a real beating on these grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 05:42:26 AM »
@AZogas

Cast iron grates are cool and give you nice sear marks.

They are also heavy and difficult to handle when they are searing hot especially compared to the light stock ones that you can remove easily with a pair of tongs.

The Go-Anywhere being a grill made for portability IMO doesn't need extra weight.

I like the idea (although I've yet to do it) of using a dremel to cut the stock grates on the sides so you you can remove one side to refuel.

The one's I've seen cut are cut down the middle, I'd probably cut it 1/3 and 2/3 to not have to lift as much of the grate off where there might be food.

Here's a demo-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsGMqHL70oc
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM