Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bent handle.  (Read 585 times)

Mattrelius

• Smokey Joe
Bent handle.
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »
Wind recently took this one across the deck.  Any advice on straightening this back out while minimizing further damage to the porcelain is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bent handle.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
If that’s your baby and you will do the work to fix it as good as you can.. then I would suggest blocks of hardwood and 2 large GOOD metal “C” clamps.
Start by covering the whole area around the handle with tape! Duct tape, masking tape.. wider and thicker the better. This is just to protect everything from more damage.
You may have to cut every block of wood to fit! Place one block under and one on top.. don’t forget to mark where the tabs are and drill a spot out of the top block to receive the tab. On the inside/bottom block, cut angles on the ends so it does not bind as everything starts moving.
Then with 2 “C” clamps start tightening slow and even ! You may have to crank hard on them to get the movement you need.
As you press it flat the handle will start to bend straight again. This might not be 100% but very close.
Just to make sure.. wrap a towel or blanket around the top of the lid as you do this.. good “C” clamps are heavy !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
I guess it should not be a problem to bend that back in shape easily with the hands.
I often did that also on more worse looking handles.
With your bare hands you have more feeling. I would not use any tool to avoid scratches and cracks.

I think it’s worth a try!

Best regards,
Jan

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
If that’s your baby and you will do the work to fix it as good as you can.. then I would suggest blocks of hardwood and 2 large GOOD metal “C” clamps.
Start by covering the whole area around the handle with tape! Duct tape, masking tape.. wider and thicker the better. This is just to protect everything from more damage.
You may have to cut every block of wood to fit! Place one block under and one on top.. don’t forget to mark where the tabs are and drill a spot out of the top block to receive the tab. On the inside/bottom block, cut angles on the ends so it does not bind as everything starts moving.
Then with 2 “C” clamps start tightening slow and even ! You may have to crank hard on them to get the movement you need.
As you press it flat the handle will start to bend straight again. This might not be 100% but very close.
Just to make sure.. wrap a towel or blanket around the top of the lid as you do this.. good “C” clamps are heavy !

What he said