Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which ash catcher and ring would you keep/install on SS Performer?  (Read 790 times)

GJR

• Happy Cooker
I purchased a new steel/black ash catcher set I found on Ebay (sourced from the red limited edition kettle) and thought I'd use it to replace the old one on my late '90s stainless Performer. I started having second thoughts and wondered what your opinions are. The one that came with my Performer seems to be in good shape but needs the handle stripped of rust and painted, and the rest needs a good polishing.

Any functional reason I should hold on to one or the other? If I reuse the old one I plan on using stainless zip ties to fasten it and delete the center bar support. It does seem to be of a heavier construction and I'm thinking it might be easier to empty and re-install than the new version- any thoughts? Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:04:15 AM by GJR »

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Which ash pan and ring would you keep/install on SS Performer?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »
You'll have to make some modifications for that new one to work whereas if the hardware (the nut, and the bar) on your original is still good its a direct fit.  If you choose the new black one you'll either  have to cut some slots in the leg sockets for the tabs to fit into, or use some hose clamps to hold the assemble onto the kettle. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Which ash catcher and ring would you keep/install on SS Performer?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
   Why make unnecessary work for yourself with the modifications. Take care of the tarnish and rust and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:30:46 AM »
I would go for the old one.
Polish it up paint the red parts and it’s super authentic and nice!

Here is my attempt:
First polish:

Coloring black and red:

Final polish (finishing) (some hours later :-) ):

Ash Pan:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:05:35 AM by Jan M. »
Best regards,
Jan

GJR

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 04:35:02 AM »
I think that’s the way I’m going to go Jan, thanks for posting- yours looks beautiful!

603kettle

• WKC Brave
Which ash catcher and ring would you keep/install on SS Performer?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 05:48:04 AM »
GJR-
As long as the cross support bar is solid I would use the old style. Clean, Polish and touch up if necessary.

Jan-
Looks better than New.

KettleFan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
Drill holes into the black bucket so it fits your current (after polishing) handle in the current ring? 
Both of your buckets are aluminum...so an easy mod. 
#iworkforweber