Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Performer Deluxe owner.  (Read 1299 times)

bigpapa0107

• Happy Cooker
New Performer Deluxe owner.
« on: July 26, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
Hey first post here besides introduction.
I am picking up my blue crate and barrel performer deluxe this weekend and was wondering which method everyone uses to light the coals with the propane assist. Just coals over the flame or chimney over the flame?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

joel.borovsky

• Smokey Joe
Re: New Performer Deluxe owner.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:16 AM »
I do just coals over the flame. I've been using the coal baskets also for easy handling

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »
I use a Weber charcoal chimney over the starter, then dump.

Or no gas and Weber starter cube under a chimney. The cubes are nice because they turn themselves off. The gas does not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:38:41 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 03:06:44 AM »
I used to be obsessed with Performers because of the gas assist.  Then I discovered how effortless weber starter cubes under a chimney work.  I don't sweat how long I've left the gas assist on (it sounds crazy but ya, stress about how long I'd left it going)
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 03:16:28 AM »
   Coals in the basket for me.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

ste6168

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 05:05:02 AM »
One of the reasons I am looking for a NON-gas assist SSP, I don't see the benefit of the gas assist personally.  Weber cubes are stupid simple!

joel.borovsky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 05:43:37 AM »
I found that the gas assist is super convenient. It gets everything ready without any thought or effort. I also got the adapter hose so I can use my 20lb propane tank instead of the small ones. Turn it on, click the button, and you're all ready to cook once the coals are hot.

Not saying that the cubes aren't easy, but when you just want to light it up quickly, the charcoal in a basket right over the propane is a really nice convenience.

I've also used the propane assist to light my chimney for my wsm. While it's totally fine without the propane, sometimes windy or lousy weather can make it harder to get the fire going.  Propane assist takes the guess work out of getting the fire going. 

Just my 2¢

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:07:23 AM »
Always use a chimney over the flame, it really speeds things up. I also used to be into GA performers but once I discovered the Weber lighter cubes I was done with gas assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
I don't use cubes anymore. Part of it is that all the grills that i use have gas assist on it. Have a full tank adapter on all so forgetting to turn it off right away is not such a big deal compare to the 1 lb tanks. Just grab a 5 or 20 # tank when  needed and disconnect it once the charcoal is lit. If pressed for time, i use a chimney on a 80,000 btu wok burner. Gets the coal going in no time.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:15:44 AM by Jules V. »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »

I used to be obsessed with Performers because of the gas assist.  Then I discovered how effortless weber starter cubes under a chimney work.  I don't sweat how long I've left the gas assist on (it sounds crazy but ya, stress about how long I'd left it going)

+1. Gas assist drives me crazy. I never use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »
I only recently got a gas assist, and I love it!  I use it to start a chimney (and inverted the bottom "rack" in the chimney specifically to use on the performer).  I'll light a chimney on the performer even if I'm cooking on a different kettle now!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »
Hey first post here besides introduction.
I am picking up my blue crate and barrel performer deluxe this weekend and was wondering which method everyone uses to light the coals with the propane assist. Just coals over the flame or chimney over the flame?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I have had my SSP for 16 years.  For the longest time I lit charcoal in baskets over the gas assist.  Now I use chimney over gas assist....faster.  You only need to let flame burn for a minute or two before turning it off.  My 5 lb tank lasts between 2-3 years.  So you should easily get a full summer out of the 1 lb tank.   It is very cost effective as a starter.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »
I’m on Team Gas-Assist.  I took it one step further and inverted the wire cones inside my chimneys so that the briquettes are positioned lower to the GA.  Also increases the chimney capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 04:29:24 AM »
Team gas assist here too.  I use a chimney over the gas.   I do have some starter cubes as well that have come in handy when I run out of little green gas canisters. 

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 06:23:15 AM »
Chimney over gas assist. In case I am not cooking on the SS performer and I want to move the lit coals to my Hasty Bake, WSM, Offset smoker, one of my Redheads, Avacado, Brown 22 with rotisserie or my 18” yellow kettle.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado