Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Dale Chestnut Coppertone  (Read 1300 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Wood Dale Chestnut Coppertone
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Back in early May my mother in law and sister in law were in Minnesota visiting my wife's grandparents.  So on a Sunday afternoon, just for kicks, I did a FB Marketplace search for grills in Windom, MN.  I didn't change the search radius, which I always have at 100 miles...anyway, in Storm Lake, Iowa this popped up, just three hours earlier, but 94 miles from Windom. 

I immediately texted my sister in law who I knew had an SUV and was driving back to Missouri that day.  She texted back that she was already in Hannibal, MO...so on to plan B.  I shared a classroom last year with my friend and colleague Ben, who is from Iowa.  I asked if he had any family or friends near Storm Lake (Northwest Iowa).  He said no.  Then I asked if he knew if any of our other co-workers were from Iowa.  He tossed out a few names, and then said...and that new guy who asked about car covers the other day...

I contacted my other coworkers...all from the Quad Cities area...but the new guy...

Christian was a student teacher who had just completed his student teaching with us, and had accepted a position to teach at my school next year.  He had my daughter in his eighth grade science class.  I had talked with him at lunch one day...So after a bit of Facebook stalking, I saw he was from Galva, Iowa, about 20 miles from Storm Lake...Friend request sent!  He accepted my friendship and I immediately sent him this message:

Christian...I sent you an email on the school email account...if you haven't checked it, I'm copying it here!   

Hello Christian,

I'm Jason Crowder, a high school teacher...I've seen you on occasion during M3 prep period, and you have my daughter (Katie) in one of your classes.  So, I collect Weber kettle grills.  I have a huge collection, and I came across one of the few rare grills I don't have today in Storm Lake, Iowa...so, I texted Ben Phelps, a high school teacher who I knew was from Iowa, and he said he didn't have any relatives in Iowa, but mentioned that you and Amy Fischer are also native Iowans...I then did a quick Facebook search on you (friend request sent!) and I saw you were from Galva, Iowa, which is about 20 miles away from Storm Lake.  So, here's the HUGE, mildly ridiculous question...do you have any family or friends in or around Storm Lake who could pick up this exceedingly rare grill?  I'm including the link here for reference...obviously I'd pay to have this picked up, and there would certainly be a steak dinner in it for you!  If not, I completely understand! 

Thanks,

Jason

I also sent a pic of my collection for reference.  So, I waited, and about a half hour later he responded that this was awesome.  Then it got better...He happened to be in Galva for the weekend.  He was heading back to his college in Nebraska for graduation the next day.  Then it got better.  He had a minivan.  He would contact the seller.  About an hour later, he had it in the back of his van.

I was super amazed and grateful.  Here's this young guy, who barely knows me, who drove to pick this up, after a very short intro to the hobby.  Anyway, then it got better.

I told him I'd pay for shipping whenever he could find time, but then he responded he'd drop it off at my house over the summer when he was moving out to Vegas.  I couldn't believe it.  I told him to take his time as we would be gone most of the summer traveling.  Sure enough, he dropped it off at our house June 5.  However, we left Vegas on May 29 and just got back last night.  So, after unpacking and starting to get our lives back together here, I spent about 20 minutes doing a very quick clean on the exterior of the grill (It's blazing hot here).  It's not perfect!  Some crazing on the bowl, it's missing one daisy wheel, and the other fell off when I picked it up, but that's to be expected in a 55 year old grill.  As a bonus, she came with a corn n tater ring!  Once it cools off here in the fall, I'm planning on doing a cleanup of the interior and maybe try to figure out how to get the daisy wheel back on.  On to the pics!

Finally, to complete the story, my wife and I are having Christian and his new wife over for dinner on Monday...the man deserves a big ribeye steak.

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wood Dale Chestnut Coppertone
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »
Beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
That is what's up!

Fantastic kettle and excellent write up!

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
Great story, and well documented.  Thanks for the entertaining read!  I'm fairly new to this and loving every minute of it!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
Awesome score..awesome assist!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 01:58:36 AM »
Wow!!! That’s awesome, congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »
Great story, what an amazing assist!   Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:41:21 AM »
Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 06:19:33 AM »
Really cool story. Congrats!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »
Great story and nice kettle [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »
Great story!  Awesome kettle!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »
Damn. Nice one man!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
That's a GREAT find/kettle.  BETTER story  ...  team effort all the way.   People are people in that part of our country, no.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Another great score with a great story. Congrats Jason!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Craig

• WKC Mod
Wood Dale Chestnut Coppertone
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
Wow!! Huge score!! Super jealous! Awesome story too! Would love to find a Wood Dale MLH Chestnut some day!

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:09:35 PM by Craig »