Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OfferUp advice  (Read 1766 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
OfferUp advice
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
I found a post for a kettle that I wanted to buy in my area for $30. I offer the guy $20. At 11:30 at night he replies that I can have it for that price if I can pick it up that night. I was asleep (like a normal person with a regular job), so I didn’t see it until the morning. I message the guy back and tell him that I can pick it up that day if he is still willing to sell. He replies quickly and asks for my number. I hear nothing after that despite sending some follow up messages, which I could see that he read. I figured that he got a better offer and sold it, but didn’t take the ad down.
A couple of days later, I decide to create another account and message him through that one and offer $25 to just see if I can get a reply. Nothing. Doesn’t even read the messages. Tonight, I decided to just offer $40 to see what happens. Well, I get a reply within seconds that I need to call this other guy to talk to him about the grill.
I call and arrange to meet in a Walmart parking lot. Guy doesn’t show up, so I call the number and he says that he is just waiting for his wife with the truck so he can come over with the grill. 15 mins go by and he is still not there. So I call again, goes to voicemail after 2 rings. Call again after 5 mins, same thing. But then I get a text saying that he had an emergency and we will have to reschedule.
The question is, should I pursue this or is this guy fucking with me? On one hand, I am thinking that I am being fucked with, on the other hand, I am thinking that I am dealing with some hillbilly (this guy sounded like he was a few pennies short of a pound) that can’t get his shit together. What would you do in this situation? Mind you, I really want this grill and it is worth every cent of the $40 (to me).

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: OfferUp advice
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
I say post an ad to the Craigslist odd jobs section saying that you’re in Summer school and need help with a project. The project is a commercial and you need an excellent Chewbacca impersonator to deliver the punchline. Ask the people to call the sellers phone number and upon “Hello?” immediately begin their best and loudest Chewbacca impersonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »
WTF! I wouldn’t go through all of that unless it was my holy grail find. Is this your grail or can you find another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
I'd pursue with caution...if it means that much to you (because he's probably a tweaker).

I get the sense that he has a lot more going on in his "personal sphere" than f*cking with you for the hell of it (because he's probably a tweaker).

I say keep at it, but only do a deal in a well lit, public place (DURING THE DAY). But, I'm guessing he sleeps during the day...if he sleeps at all (because he's probably a tweaker).

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »
This is not a grail for me. But certainly a hard to find grill in my area. My instincts tell me to stay away, but my weberitis makes me come back for more.

I insisted on meeting in a Walmart parking lot that is busy primarily because of my concern of what might happen. I don’t generally get scared of online deals but this is a head scratcher for me.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
@Mike in Roseville , so it looks as though you would proceed with caution in dealing with this gentleman, do you think he might be a tweaker?  He kind of sounds like, what is your impression?.....LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 07:35:24 PM »
@Mike in Roseville , so it looks as though you would proceed with caution in dealing with this gentleman, do you think he might be a tweaker?  He kind of sounds like, what is your impression?.....LOL

Uhhh...a tweaker?  ::)

Some of the facts of this potential transaction lead me to believe ...perhaps.

May be just circumstance and coincidence.

A spacey buyer? Who knows? Spacey seller? Hmmmm.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 07:48:48 PM »
Well, if you really want it, send him your highest and final with a deadline. “Hey, hope your emergency worked out ok. Just checking to see if you’re still interested in doing this deal. $40 cash. I can meet anytime between 3-5 this afternoon at Walmart. If that doesn’t work, let me know what time does. If we don’t confirm a meetup by tomorrow at 10 am, I’ll assume you found a new buyer. Look forward to hearing from you”  I recently bought a kettle from a guy that I thought for sure was going to fall thru and it didn’t. But I was prepared to drop it the whole time.

I figure it’s like this - they want to sell. I have money. If you don’t want my money, fine, but I’m not going to beg you to take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 08:10:59 PM »
Well, if you really want it, send him your highest and final with a deadline. “Hey, hope your emergency worked out ok. Just checking to see if you’re still interested in doing this deal. $40 cash. I can meet anytime between 3-5 this afternoon at Walmart. If that doesn’t work, let me know what time does. If we don’t confirm a meetup by tomorrow at 10 am, I’ll assume you found a new buyer. Look forward to hearing from you”  I recently bought a kettle from a guy that I thought for sure was going to fall thru and it didn’t. But I was prepared to drop it the whole time.

I figure it’s like this - they want to sell. I have money. If you don’t want my money, fine, but I’m not going to beg you to take it.

That’s good advice. I’m going to text him this tomorrow and see how things play out.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »
He could be fucking with you or he could just be scatterbrained as all hell. I’ve never been a person with a lot of patience for that bs and as I age to a crotchety old bitch, my patience requires a micromemter to attain proper measurement. I also find people don’t pay attention to what you tell them so you really need to be direct. I hate “later”, “soon” and “a while”. My clocks don’t display those times. So I name a time and a deadline, because while you maybe fucking with me, your fuckery has an expiration date :)

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »
There's an old saying: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

It's time to move on! The lost time dealing with such an idiot can never be replaced!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 07:37:49 AM »

He could be fucking with you or he could just be scatterbrained as all hell. I’ve never been a person with a lot of patience for that bs and as I age to a crotchety old bitch, my patience requires a micromemter to attain proper measurement. I also find people don’t pay attention to what you tell them so you really need to be direct. I hate “later”, “soon” and “a while”. My clocks don’t display those times. So I name a time and a deadline, because while you maybe fucking with me, your fuckery has an expiration date :)

@CarrieAnn for the win!

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 07:43:13 AM »
I gave the guy two options to meet and he hasn’t responded yet so I have decided to move on and let this one go. Thanks for the advice.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »
I'd pursue with caution...if it means that much to you (because he's probably a tweaker).

I get the sense that he has a lot more going on in his "personal sphere" than f*cking with you for the hell of it (because he's probably a tweaker).

I say keep at it, but only do a deal in a well lit, public place (DURING THE DAY). But, I'm guessing he sleeps during the day...if he sleeps at all (because he's probably a tweaker).
... so TWEAKER is your final answer I take it then.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
I guess I'm just insane, but I go to people's houses, even at night, to pick up tonight hinges from CL, offerup and the like.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk