Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Intro, Stok parts and looking for 8506  (Read 3636 times)

CurtP

• WKC Brave
Intro, Stok parts and looking for 8506
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:05:43 AM »
Greetings from Virginia Beach, VA!  Stumbled across this site a while ago while looking for wood handles.  Decided to join last night after ordering a new handle for my AU Performer Platinum (thanks Brian!).  I always forget about ordering a wood handle until I burn my hand, get sidetracked, then forget again.   ::)

I see talk about using the Stok cast iron grate, but never any mention of using the charcoal basket.  My Stok tower lasted about a year before rust took over.  I kept a few parts off of it before wheeling it out to the curb (it disappeared in about an hour).  It's one of my favorite accessories to use with the Weber.  It sits over the gas burner very well.  I leave the basket in place for really high direct heat and very low indirect heat.  I remove it if I want to spread the coals around.  Nobody else does this?

Anyone know where I can get a Weber 8506 gas conversion kit here in the States?  There are times where I don't want to mess with charcoal, but I don't have enough room to have multiple grills.  I barely have enough space for the Performer  :(

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Re: Intro, Stok parts and looking for 8506
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »
Welcome from Maryland.   
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »
Greetings from Virginia Beach, VA!  Stumbled across this site a while ago while looking for wood handles.  Decided to join last night after ordering a new handle for my AU Performer Platinum (thanks Brian!).  I always forget about ordering a wood handle until I burn my hand, get sidetracked, then forget again.   ::)

I see talk about using the Stok cast iron grate, but never any mention of using the charcoal basket.  My Stok tower lasted about a year before rust took over.  I kept a few parts off of it before wheeling it out to the curb (it disappeared in about an hour).  It's one of my favorite accessories to use with the Weber.  It sits over the gas burner very well.  I leave the basket in place for really high direct heat and very low indirect heat.  I remove it if I want to spread the coals around.  Nobody else does this?

Anyone know where I can get a Weber 8506 gas conversion kit here in the States?  There are times where I don't want to mess with charcoal, but I don't have enough room to have multiple grills.  I barely have enough space for the Performer  :(

Welcome, Curt. Nice setup you got there. We have a few members from Australia where there the gas conversions are readily available. I'm not sure on the price though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:57:09 AM »
I use the charcoal basket in my STOK upside down and it acts just like a vortex.  Us it for chicken.  I'm currently debating swapping the STOK Grates and Charcoal Basket over to the Performer.

Last summer I lusted after craycort grates which led me to buying the STOK which came with cast iron grates.  I've enjoyed using it but the STOK definitely has some flaws that need addressing.

Number one complaint is the ash pan/lower vent system freezes up and it is not made of materials that will withstand many New England winters.

As for the grates I love them but after having used them on the STOK and also using the lighter Weber grates with the flip up sides, it is truly easier to lift off the Weber grates and hook them off the side of the grill to be able to clean out the bottom of the grill.  With the STOK grates, although I prefer to cook on them, they take a little more care to keep seasoned and a little more care in handling them because you cant take them out and hook them anywhere and having read other reports you need to handle them carefully because they will break if they are dropped.

It is for that reason I question the new Gourmet system on the Mastertouch and newer Performers being two pieces so when you remove the grate its just a little more work to take them out and hook them somewhere.  Not a huge deal but something to consider.

Anyway, I just thought I'd give my two cents having had used both for the past year.

Here was my cook from this weekend.  The STOK, Performer and WSM going at the same time. The gas assist on the Performer sure makes things easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZL0MEwJXeg
Using the charcoal basket from the STOK like the vortex is the only way I'll do chicken wings/drummies or thighs from now on, total no brainer-
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:23:43 AM »
I bought a damaged stok grill at Target for $20 just to get the grates and also use the charcoal basket to as a vortex.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »
I bought a damaged stok grill at Target for $20 just to get the grates and also use the charcoal basket to as a vortex.

That's a steal.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM