Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Season Charcoal Grate  (Read 876 times)

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
Season Charcoal Grate
« on: June 26, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
I'm coming from a Ceramic Firebox so forgive the noob question. Did a initial burn in on my new WSCG. Obviously that nice protective oil layer is gone. I'm answering my own question as I type...no point in attemting to season the charcoal grates as it will burn off right ? I picked up a second grate so I have a charcoal grate in both the lower *smoke* and upper *grill* position

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Season Charcoal Grate
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
No need to season a charcoal grate.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
No need to season a charcoal grate.

What @Darko said. If you did a burn off on the top grate no need to do it on the charcoal grate...unless it’s new! I would toss some lit charcoal on the charcoal grate and give it about 10 min or so to remove the oil on it.

Good luck and keep grilling🤙
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »
   No need to season a charcoal or food grate. The only thing that matters are you the type of person that washes the food grate after every cook or will your food grate never see water from this day forward.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
That's a double edged ? For the WSCG, I think a little carbon doesn't hurt. Keeps rust at bay since it's steel.  The WSCG comes with SS food grates though. I have a new all out aluminum PK as well. I don't know if I will let the creosote build up on this. I might keep the PK ~clean~. Then again, ALL the grills on my PK are SS.
----

For clarity, when  say cleaning, just talking about the inside lid

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:58:45 PM by mobiledynamics »

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
Wait. What? You mean people actually wash cooking grates? That’s crazy talk. I’m lucky if I scrape off the stalagmites from the previous cook.
Retired

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »

Wait. What? You mean people actually wash cooking grates? That’s crazy talk. I’m lucky if I scrape off the stalagmites from the previous cook.

Yup. Me too. Haven’t gotten food poisoning yet. 🤞

-Jed
-Jed